Let It Out!What bugs you re this hobby?

on 2017.05.04

@ aurumastrum: Agreed sometimes it is nice to see the more obscure cels, but at the same time no one wants to overpaid and that is fundamentally the problem with scalpers.

@ Cutiebunny: That's an interesting question and the answer may be it depends. Cel collectors are known for being resourceful and with the increase of internet commerce, it is relatively easy for international buyers to buy from online sites. Wouldn't be surprised if any of the cel sales on ebay, YJP and other sites were to international buyers. It is hard to confirm the actual sales ratio without access to the selling sites data.

@ Gelato: Good point and completely agree! The only real way to communicate with a seller is with your wallet! We continue to boycott sellers whose pricing we disagree with; we are ok with a reasonable markup, but when it is over 100% that is asinine. Unfortunately, with some sellers like the aforementioned urbantreasurehunterjapan, there remains enough buyers who simply do not care and are willing to grossly overpay. SMH. More power to them. We however, will refrain from supporting scalpers or cel sellers who we feel overprice items. Hopefully one day these type of sellers will be literally priced out of the market.
Edited May 04 at 8:33 PM
momo
M O M O's cels
May 04 at 8:32 PM
@ All: Has anyone had good or less than pleasant experiences with the ebay user URBANTREASUREHUNTERJAPAN http://www.ebay.com/usr/urbantreasurehunterjapan
For anyone who does not know this seller typically buys from YJA or other online sources and attempts to flip the item, typically with a 200% to 300% mark up. This is in our humble opinion price gouging. Unfortunately he has some deep funds and often buys up many popular series so if his price gouging practices impact you, rest assured you are not alone.

Kindly share your stories if you've dealt with directly or indirectly urbantreasurehunterjapan.

OK, here's mine:
I remember last year seeing a Project A-Ko cel with cucumbers on her eyes (memorable - right?) at Mandarake Shibuya 1800 yen - a week later it's on UrbanT-shop's eBay for $180 and it sold "Holy 1000% markup!" I did make an offer of $25 stating he was making a $7. profit from Shibuya...hehe

Here's another - it's been mis-described on eBay for years and it's NOT from Outlanders - believe me I know every frame of that OVA! ebay item # 161113558681 &161113558719
Edited May 12 at 3:50 PM
KahmCelWorld
Girls-On-Film
May 12 at 3:34 PM
This is what bugs me, dealers who buy cels in Japan and flip them in the US, like URBANTREASUREHUNTERJAPAN I bid on several cels Genesis Climber Mospeada through a proxy site and lost every one, even bidding above my cap. 2 weeks later every one appeared on his ebay site with a huge markup. With the markup there is no way I can afford them now. I don't mind bidding against other cel collectors because it's going into a collection, but I hate bidding against a dealer that makes me basically bid against myself.
treker10
Steve's Anime Cels
May 21 at 3:49 PM
It bugs me that everyone keeps ragging on about that one reseller. I haven't even once had an issue with this reseller. If you really want the piece, just do your best to outbid the guy at the start and be done with it.
Angelic-Lair
May 22 at 3:56 PM
That's tough when you have limited funds and dealers have unlimited funds. I lost at the last minute by a sniper bid. If I knew a dealer was going to bid I wouldn't bid because all I'm doing is raising the price when it hits ebay and that's what sucks.
Edited May 23 at 9:42 PM
treker10
Steve's Anime Cels
May 23 at 9:41 PM
Welcome! Login or Register