Let It Out!What bugs you re this hobby?

Been wondering for sometime now, what bugs or -concerns- do you have about this somewhat addicting hobby known as cel collecting? Yes, this thread will involve some complaining, rants and soapbox moments, so... do not read further if you are not interested. This thread is strictly for those who are interested enough to share. Thanks!

EDITED on 2010.01.20: The primary purpose of this thread is to [u]raise awareness[/u]. We all have different experiences but we certainly can learn from each other, can't we?

Cheers!
Edited Jan 20 at 1:21 PM
momo
M O M O's cels
Jun 14 at 2:54 PM
Well since no one taken the time to comment I will share one of my annoyances about the cel collecting hobby... namely dealers and/or sellers who keep up items that are sold and do not make an effort to remove them in a timely manner. I know sometimes it is nice to see what WAS available, but the novelty wears off quickly especially when the reality is, even if you wanted to buy it, you cannot have it; the cel IS sold. As such, it really makes no sense to just leave things up on their site that are unavailable b/c they are sold.

I realize for some dealers if they removed their sold cels, i.e. Nichibei they would have slim pickings for cels. [b]Displaying only the available cels for purchase is by far much more accurate and does not mislead potential customers IMO.[/b] This is one of many reasons why I like the RS shop b/c you can view all of the items including the ones that were sold, but those can be viewed separately from the ACTUAL available ones. And in the end, isn't that all that really matters... whether or not a specific cel or item you want is available? I doubt I am alone in this, what say you?
momo
M O M O's cels
Jun 17 at 3:03 PM
You are so right about that. I wish they would take away the sold cels as well instead of leaving them sit on their sites for months at a time. I can understand maybe leaving them posted for about a month, but no longer. Because then that pretty little picture will just keep mocking you each time you visit that particular page. "Ha HA you weren't fast enough to snatch me!" >.<
Edited Jun 17 at 8:12 PM
AtomicWVGirl
A Mahoujin Guru Guru Gallery
Jun 17 at 8:11 PM
I think it's a sales technique. If you see what you wanted is sold then the hope is that you'll pull the trigger on another Cel before it's gone. I DO agree though...it is frustrating. I'll see a Cel on a website and (in a split second) I'll think "COOL! I want it." and then notice that it's sold. What's WORSE?....is when I go the the same sight a month later, see that same Cel and go "COOL!" again and then get let down a 2nd time. None of us needs that kind of mind frack.
The other thing that bugs me is...I want to preserve my cels as best I can. That would probably be in a Cel book, in Cel bags with backing boards. But...I have to enjoy mine so they're framed on the wall. Archival materials and everything but I still worry about temperature changes, and how electric light will affect them over the years. I have to say it is probably one of the most complicated care hobbies to have. It's also one that gives mucho satisfaction.
There's my rant.
Later,
~Mark
mchaleyart
Backward Paint
Jun 17 at 10:17 PM
I think if a cel is sold, they should keep it online, but at botttom of the list highlighted 'SOLD'.

At least we are aware the item was sold & what beautiful cel this company once had.
mscg
MSCG
Jun 18 at 3:49 AM
Welcome! Login or Register