update limits

Responding to Al and/or Nic:
How would someone use the update section as an organizational tool to keep track of their cels in a way that's contrary to the point of the site? The nature of Rubberslug means each gallery is an organized grouping of the curator's cels, and as people update their galleries to reflect their collections, the galleries pop into the update section. I think I'm failing to understand the thrust of your argument...
Ted
Ted's Animation Gallery
Nov 15 at 6:36 PM
Ack. Let's all play nice kiddies.
Edited Nov 15 at 7:10 PM
Rheytarian
Rheytarian's Anime Alcove
Nov 15 at 7:09 PM
Yes I have to agree. You're definitely failing to grasp the peak of my argument. Try reading the "Hate to say it" thread. Still confused? Holla back youngin Woot Woot!(translation: Let me know and I will find some other way to to explain it to you)

Remember, once you're iiiiin you're in for liiiife. (mi vida loca)
Al and Nic
Al & Nic's Cel Carnival
Nov 15 at 8:07 PM
I?m fine with 2 updates a week, but I agree with Tex-chan. I don?t understand the need to limit the number of times a person updates.

This is how I see it:
I understand that people don?t like updates of hidden categories, but I think that hidden updates count as an update. If a member has a section that is always hidden, the only way anyone will know of its existence is through the main page. If you ask the user for a password, and they give it to you, you?ll be able to see new cel scans.

I can also understand why a person would want to have a ?Coming Soon? section. Those with ?Coming Soon? sections can show off the same cels twice. It gives viewers a second chance to catch a person?s update. I don?t have a ?Coming Soon? section, because I?d feel bad posting the same thing twice, but everyone can make a ?Coming Soon? section.

I can?t understand why a member would have a cel section that no one can see and for which they never give out a password. If someone just wants to keep a record of what they have coming, that only they can see, isn?t easier to save a seller?s scans to a folder on your desktop and leave the scans alone?

The current main screen favors those galleries who update more, but if you want to see the newest stuff that?s good.

If people want to be able to hide their updates, there should be an option to make an update invisible. The limit idea seems strange to me. I think it sounds odd to tell someone they can?t update because they update too often. If people are mad that they can?t see a section, they should email the site owner of the category they want to see and ask for a password. If members are posting junk categories with no images, shouldn?t those offenders be punished, rather than restricting everyone?s access?

Just my two cents.
guyvariii
Chris' Cel Site
Nov 15 at 8:40 PM
I'd love to see a "Show Update?" button.

Limiting the number of updates will limit the number of people updating for the sole purpose of getting their homepage shown on the main page, coming soon sections, etc.

I also see no need for hidden section to be shown as an update. Like others have said before...Why is it being shown if the mass can't view it?

I've seen plenty of people abusing the main page update feature. I've seen entire updates deleted if they get bumped off the main page too soon...And re-loaded. Same stuff.

I know there's a page that's shows extended "recently updated" galleries. But I only check there if I notice galleries have been kicked off by these other categories, or a heavy upload day.

I think people are just getting fed up with getting kicked off by Coming soon sections, hidden sections, and abuse.

I agree with both sides of arguements. But, I stick by what I said above. Some here, like myself, rarely update my gallery. I love to have as many people as possible see my gallery, and there's no better way than having my banner plastered all over the front page for at LEAST a few hours. But, being kicked off under 45 minutes just stinks. Less people to enjoy my lovelies.

Just my humble opinion. But you have my vote on 2 updates a week Jason. It may solve a few problems floating around here as of late.
Ms. Poe
Ms. Poe
Nov 15 at 11:17 PM
Welcome! Login or Register