Main images not appearing in RS pages

Hmmm, it seems that I've got a few, too. But I'm lucky if I manage to work up the ambition to upload new stuff, let alone fix old stuff nowadays. I'll wait for Jason to find the bug.
klet
klet's Island of Misfit Cels
May 30 at 2:09 PM
Considering the bug seems to affect oldest stuff first, I bet that eventually it will affect the things people are "fixing" anyway.
xelloss
Anime Cel Incognito
May 30 at 2:59 PM
Update: As posted in a previous comment, all the stuff is still there. I think it's a simple fix so I will attempt this later tonight when traffic dies down a bit. Fixing the underlying problem will probably require rebooting the server.

As for those wondering why these changes had to be made... notice how we don't run out of disk space anymore? It's still a problem, but the really big problem (circa Nov 2010) was that 1) there was no more room left to upload images and 2) the very next exploit to hit the site would probably vaporize the whole thing. Now we have space and the only incident we've had since was entirely fixable -- and 100% due to remnants of the old site.

The choice was really between shut the whole thing down (no thanks) or figure out a way to move new stuff offsite and rewrite from scratch. That turned into a 6 month project which was a really, really bad idea from a personal efficiency and financial standpoint... but at least this site works. If I had not rewritten the site, the exploits going around a few months ago would have been Very Bad.

It's annoying that there's incomplete functionality, but I have no doubt that the decision to change was the right one. Site is AMAZINGLY more stable, traffic is up, and the fraction of my brain devoted to RS sleeps slightly better at night. It's not in a condition right now where it can run indefinitely and withstand any sort of nuke from orbit... but that's the goal.
Edited May 30 at 8:43 PM
noisywalrus
Plastic Future
May 30 at 8:12 PM
Weirder than I thought: rebooting server with no code fixes fixed the image scaler. Something probably got out of whack and needed to be reset. Is everything working for everyone now?
Edited May 31 at 1:26 AM
noisywalrus
Plastic Future
May 31 at 1:26 AM
Yes, it seems to work fine now.
Thanks! *thumbs up*
Wendy
Royal Crimson
May 31 at 1:50 AM
Welcome! Login or Register