WARNING: Counterfeit Cels

Mackettric,

Exactly. I actually ran into this a few years ago as well. A person had a couple transformers cels that were reproductions. The cels had the same problems as these. The images didn't match up with what was on the screen. Those cels and the ones i'm having issues with now were all purchased from cel dealers over seas.

Also a few years ago, at the same time as the other two transformers cels I just mentioned. There was a large number of fake Thundercats cels surfacing as well. Those came from the same source as the two transformers cels. Whoever was creating the fake cels actually had the original production drawings. Thats what they used to recreate the cels. They sold the cels with the drawings to make them seem more legitimate. And again, thats actually what is going on in this case as well. A lot of the cels i'm having issues with comes with the matching production drawings.

If there is money to be made then some people will do anything regardless of how dishonest it may be.
Edited Mar 02 at 3:39 AM
Mace
Animation X
Mar 02 at 3:34 AM
I find it disheartening to hear that people are making fake cels from production drawings like that, and then selling them together. That's low.

I wish the collector in question would respond to this thread. I'd like to hear their explanation.
Shemp
Black Mirror
Mar 02 at 11:27 AM
I had dealings with the guardians of good owner awhile back. I have to admit that it wasnt a very good experience. I felt he was pushy and misleading with information on the cels i bought.
I would not deal with him again. If he is guilty of what hes being accused of i would not be surprised. IMO
Edited Mar 02 at 4:49 PM
Atashi
Mar 02 at 4:45 PM
Hey guys,

I was just reading through the posts and had to comment on this.
I personally appreciate someone pointing something out as a possible counterfeit, especially since I had a horrible Mandarake experience 8 years ago where I was sold a fake cel and almost lost $400 on that deal if someone was not kind enough to point it out in my gallery before it was too late.

Taking all things into consideration, I have known GoG for years and I feel he has a lot of knowledge and passion for the things he collects.

With that said, and this is generally speaking, I also think Mace has valid arguments to question the cel especially with the coloration differentiation (I just wish I could have seen the screencaps, unfortunately, were pulled before I saw them). And I think his part of the post regarding the Snake Eyes cel was within reason, while I cannot comment whatsoever about what had transpired between the two of them.

I also know that animators do use correction layers for color fox as well as sometimes even changing certain colors or lighting when an original animation film/show has been digitally remastered, re-released, etc. So, this is another thing that should be taken into consideration.

Also, in regards to the Ginrai vs. Optimus Prime name cel, that cel comes from Masterforce series in 1988. In Japanese, the character is known as "Ginrai". However, in the English dub version (the version I own at least), they refer to him as Optimus Prime. This is due to trademark agreements. So, I do not feel he is being misleading by referring to the item as Ginrai/Optimus Prime. It is just from Masterforce series and not from the original G1 series from 1984-1986, and people who have seen the English dub version would call him Optimus Prime.

But, I hope GoG would be able to respond to this and be able to defend himself and his cels.
star-phoenix
Star Phoenix Art Gallery
Mar 03 at 1:46 AM
star, you are certainly correct, however what you probably don't know is that GoG originally tried to sell that cel on eBay as G1 transformers, and calling him Optimus from G1 would be 100% incorrect. ^_~.
betsuni
Mar 03 at 1:55 PM
Welcome! Login or Register