Allow fancels in shop?

I would honestly prefer them not to be allowed, but I also understand that they are part of cel collecting. So I would at least like to see them in their own section separated clearly from original production art or studio authorized reproductions. It is too easy to be confused if you are new to the hobby.
Foechadan
Nearachd Nathair Sgiathach
Mar 13 at 10:32 AM
[quote]I currently have two fan cels of a CG show in the shop. If you want me to take them down, let me know and I will.[/quote]

Hmm, I probably shouldn't be so curt with my messages. It's not that I dislike fan cels. In fact, your illustration in particular from visiting your gallery shows quite a bit of technical skill (the likes of which I have yet to obtain).

I just don't want someone who isn't that strong of a collector to be misled, even with mentioning that they're fancels in the description. It's that selling side-by-side thing E talked about a few months ago. If a production cel and a similar fan cel are side-by-side in the shop, except the fan cel is rightfully listed at 1/10 the price, does this devalue the production cel or make it less likely that it will sell? Is this fair to the person selling production art?

Maybe a better question is, "How can we signify that a fan cel is an entirely different class of product than a production cel?" I don't really feel comfortable with the two being sold side-by-side... but again, if I'm just flat out wrong please correct me.

(Note: this will begin to matter in about six months, as there is a strong possibility many non-collectors may start visiting the shop.)
noisywalrus
Plastic Future
Mar 13 at 10:37 AM
YES!

Maybe require a category to put the cel in, like in the *add artwork* process? Also, maybe make it required to put in a cel # for production stuff, and anything else like fan cels, rilezu, etc...not require it?

Someone could police the auctions too that may be a seasoned cel vet that knows who may not be telling the whole truth or not, and have them correct it in 24 hours, or the auction is pulled? Dunno...It's just a thought on a broader issue =)!

But...a definite YES on allowing fan cels! I already bought a BEAUTIFUL Utena fan cel from someone already, and couldn't be happier =)!
Ms. Poe
Ms. Poe
Mar 13 at 12:53 PM
Yes, But Make a Production and Non-Production listings in the shop.
IF it's Real Production art it goes in the Production part and "All others" go in the non-Production part, Problem gone.
You guy's are over thinking this thing.
Roy
backlotanimation
Backlotanimation
Mar 13 at 3:30 PM
Well, untill you decide on how to handle fan cels in the shop, I have taken mine down.
It will be interesting to see what you come up with.

If fan cels are indeed bothering people, I think giving them their own section would be a good idea. That way, nobody will "mistake" them for being the real thing.
Wendy
Royal Crimson
Mar 14 at 12:50 AM
Welcome! Login or Register