Slowing down...

For the past three years of so, my other half and I have been slowly building our small-ish collection of cels, adding a few cels here, selling off a few cels there, eventually whittling our collection down to a solid core.
Seems we're at the point now where our collection feels pretty complete (minus an elusive cel or two) and, as a result, our buying and selling habits have changed a bit.
It seems ironic that, at almost the same time, the cel categories on Yahoo! Japan are starting to be swamped with sketches, rather than cels, and we've pretty much run out of usable wall-space at our humble abode. Yes, we frame every single one of our cels (part of the reason why our collection has remained as small as it has.)
Keeping all of this in mind, it definitely begs the question: What do you do when your cel collection feels nearly done?
(E, I know you're particularly well-suited to answer this question)
And, on the other side of the coin, of course: How far from completion is [i]your[/i] collection? Will it ever be complete?

-4_degree
Edited Jan 10 at 7:07 AM
4_degree
Jan 10 at 7:07 AM
Hmm,
I hear from others and sometimes I even say to myself that "if I ever find that one cel my collections complete".I find that "The cel" is a mixed blessing and a curse. (while I highly doubt I'll ever see the cel much less afford it) I would truly appreciate the cel,(and might make a deal with the devil to get it) but it would mark the end of something that has taken up (those words makes it sound bad, but it's not)part of my life. Collecting has allowed me to meet new and interesting people that I doubt I would have ever run into and would miss that part of it probably as much as the hunt(hope)for cels. On a second note, I wonder if that one cel would actually stop me from collecting, unless it was a black and white situation I think even if I got the cel I would still pick up the occasional. There are so many series that were cel made, that I admire the art work,have sentimental attachments to a scene or character, or just have some weird connection to. That if given the chance and right cel, I would pick it up. So I think I'm really far off from completeing my collection, and I don't feel a bit down about it, (and even a small part of me wishes it is never complete)
indy
(if it ever was though I guess I'd do what almost anyone else does sift my attentions elsewhere and cherish the memories I had of it.)

(sorry bout the () at work and kept coming ack to this hope it makes sense
indy
Painted Plastik
Jan 10 at 9:51 AM
Cels are like kids you never know when there coming but you love them forever when they get here.
Hey, That sounds like something from forest gumps mom.
Once you get your first cel your hooked forever and ever.
live with it and enjoy.
There is something about having a one of a kind peace of art no one can have, It kind of gives you a high that no one can take from you.
Until you find another one that rocks your world once more.
once a cel head always a cel head.
ENJOY
backlotanimation
Backlotanimation
Jan 10 at 10:25 AM
Both excellent points.
I can't imagine that we'd ever truly get out of this wonderful hobby, whether we find our elusive dream cels or not.
Besides, if any of us could stop collecting after finding an elusive cel or two, this hobby wouldn't be near as much fun as it is. :)
It just seems odd being a "cel collector " when we're not collecting as actively as we once did.
There have been quite a few well-known collectors that have either fallen out-of-touch with the rest of the community (as it were) or sold off their collections.
While I don't see us selling off our collection, I don't want to fall out-of-touch with the cel-collecting community either.
We've made quite a few friends through our collecting and we've acquired some wonderful cels that we love dearly over the years.
4_degree
Jan 10 at 10:54 AM
Just a quick little aside...
As I was looking at the updated galleries page, SSJ4 JohnJohn's banner caught my eye. Perhaps I'm at the point just before ascending to a "super" cel collector (level 1, of course). You never know...
4_degree
Jan 10 at 11:02 AM
Welcome! Login or Register