search question

Improved search almost done.

A few questions:

a) Do you all want to be able to have an on/off switch to be excluded from search? Would that even be a good thing?

b) Should detailed searches (things that return, say, more than 15-20 hits) be restricted to members to prevent bots and random nosy image gankers from trolling the search page for downloads?

Right now, I have a working search that searches through individual cels, series names, gallery names, and users. It's actually pretty fun to play with.

http://www.rubberslug.com/search/

It
needs a little more work to be ready for prime time, obviously. Still need to hammer out detailed searches and improve the makeshift interface. Tell me what you think.

Funny side note: Right now it's sorted by the number of views on a cel, which will probably be one of many sorting options in the future. The funny part is, naughty cels come up an awful lot. Is this all you people think about? Tsk.
Edited Jan 05 at 12:19 AM
noisywalrus
Plastic Future
Jan 05 at 12:07 AM
Peeks out from behind the palms... Very interesting!!

And fun! Thanks for the cool feature!

I gave it two tries, "Last Exile" and "Now and then". With the first it gave a good cross section of cels sketches and even a gallery. With "Now and then" it gave a mix of relevant and strange information. It looked at words used in information people wrote in their cel explanations/comments and showed cels from other anime.
Of course if I had written the full title that problem would not have arisen.

As for questions.
a. I can't think of a good reason to have a switch, but as you say, some people might want to opt out.
b.Yes to restrictions to control bots and trolling. Ex. Beta's Cloud of course.

OT This may only be my problem. ^_^
Could a pre page with both rated and unrated galleries be created? Or some way to get to the list of unrated galleries without going through having to wait for the rated galleries to load? If so... thank you in advance!
monkeyboy
Jan 05 at 1:04 AM
That is kinda neat. One question - the "artwork search" that generates those little thumbnails only seems to take into account the description text of that cel and not the series title that cel is placed under. So if, for example, I search for "Escaflowne" the only cel images that pop up are the ones where the person relisted the series title again - and if they didn't, it doesn't show up, no matter how many hits that cel has. Is that the intent? I would think the search would be more accurate if the series name was included - at least more of the results would actually BE from the show then, I'd think ;)
Gabriel
Gabriel's cels
Jan 05 at 8:48 AM
Great! This looks like a great way to find those cels buried in Misc sections! I really agree with the members only restriction, but, I think listing them in order of hits will make it harder to find new stuff. I vote for newer items to come up first.
Foechadan
Nearachd Nathair Sgiathach
Jan 05 at 9:05 AM
[quote]I would think the search would be more accurate if the series name was included - at least more of the results would actually BE from the show then, I'd think ;)[/quote]

There's an important piece of the puzzle that's missing here. The search that's currently available is the scattershot search that searches all catagories and provides some sample results. There will be a detailed search that lets you search just one catagory of stuff and allows you to page through the results and sort them accordingly. (I don't personally like the "most hits" sorting method either, but it's a quick way to sort the sample results.)

So, basically, if you wanted to search for Escaflowne cels, you'd search for "series" instead of individual cels. The cel search works best looking for actual characters.

Of course, one of the big problems here is that the search is rather dumb. It doesn't work like Google... it simply looks through the description and the title of the cel for a particular word. *shrug*

Maybe I can get the series search to also return the most recently updated 2-3 cels from each series hit?
noisywalrus
Plastic Future
Jan 05 at 9:55 AM
Welcome! Login or Register