sales, finally.

Okay. I'm pretty pooped. I need to drive tomorrow but I said I'd finish this first, and I did.

1) It's working, but in a very basic way. It may or may not seem pretty fancy, but this is just the beginning of what we have planned. This is just to test out the workflow. I'm working on a larger version of this in parallel.

2) While under development, this will be sponsors only. Practically every long-term member is already a sponsor of some kind, so this shouldn't really be an issue.

3) There is no documentation, and the system will probably be a little crazy to figure out at first. I've incorporated what I believe are some good ideas and theory about online selling of unique items. These will be certainly tweaked via your suggestions.

4) There's not a good way yet to handle offers with the "on hold" mechanism.

5) There will be no item wipe once the final system goes live if I can help it. I will roll all items in this test shop into a "misc" or "old stuff" catagory in the final shop. Feel free to use this as if it were a final copy.

and most importantly...

** Feel free to test the system by putting junk items in there. For the next few weeks I'll just go through and manually delete any test items you create. **

Reproducable crashes get... hmm... 50 karma points.

**Basic workflow:**

1. Click on the "shop" section in the bottom left of your member panel.
2. Add a cel.
3. Go back out and click on "start" once you're ready to post the cel. After you click on start, you *cannot* delete this item, only delist it.
4. This item will show up in the shop.
5. Other members can place items you post on hold. This will send you an e-mail. Right now you can put your own items on hold, this will be removed in the final version.
6. When you get an e-mail, talk to that person to arrange shipping and such.
7. Once you have payment in hand, mark this cel as sold. It will be delisted at this point.

There's some other features involved in there but this is probably too long and complicated as it is already.

Comments, questions, and feedback are welcome.
noisywalrus
Plastic Future
Nov 25 at 12:35 AM
E..*Pops a champagne bottle open...!!
Edited Nov 25 at 12:50 AM
E
Nov 25 at 12:49 AM
Thanks for the new feature!! Most go test it now!
KageNeko
KageNeko's Frozen seconds
Nov 25 at 1:07 AM
Okay, I just successfully sold myself one cel, then got this error message trying to do another:

String or binary data would be truncated.
The statement has been terminated.

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteNonQuery()
at ASP.shop_manage_aspx.newItem(Object sender, EventArgs e) in E:\usr\rubberslug.com\member\shop_manage.aspx:line 190

I first tried to use an animated gif for an image, then a file over 200K, and the page told me I couldn't use either of those. Then I went off and tried to edit one of my regular gallery items in another window, went back to the sale page and tried to upload a jpg under 200K, then got this error message.

Edited to add: I just tried it again with both the same and a different image, and got the same error message when I clicked on the "Create New Item" button.

Edited again to add: I was able to edit my "sold" cel's description, price, and image; is that ability intentional? The changed image didn't show up on my individual item page, but it did show up on the overall shop page. Oh, and the "Last Modified" date and time are the same as the "Created" date and time, giving no indication that I made those edits.
Edited Nov 25 at 4:34 AM
lonelymountain
The Lonely Mountain
Nov 25 at 4:09 AM
Also, I fiddled around with the offers and trade boxes.. but if I didn't put a price in, I couldn't complete the form.

If I just want to take offers or trades, should I need to include a price?

Just a few observations:

The bottom section (contact seller box) may need to come up a tad bit. It is not instantly intuitive for the interested party in knowing how to contact the seller, trader, or whatever upon sight if his/her window is not maxed-out, or one doesn't scroll down the page. But, I guess if someone is interested enough "they'll go a lookin'" won't they?

You might consider adding an additional upload space for people with sketches that go along with the cels, maybe as thumb window or something.

Also, you might want to include a payment option box, Paypal, money order, shipping, etc. But, I guess people can add that along with their descriptions.

And to respond to LM's post, it may have been some mixing up of our uploading or something because I had some code fonts jump into my description box out of somewhere, and I think that we were probably trying to upload or do something else at the same time, but this is just a guess, but it looked like there may have been some code "leakage" =)
Edited Nov 25 at 8:29 AM
E
Nov 25 at 8:22 AM
Welcome! Login or Register