finally doing feature galleries

Reading this has raised a question in my mind; particularly because of Zag's post.
Our gallery used to be on the featured gallery rotation but I haven't seen it in forever. Likewise, I've seen others more than once in (what I'm assuming is) a random rotation. So my quesiton is this: do feature galleries get kicked for any reason or are there just, like, a million feature gallery submissions and ours only seems to have disappeared?
Thanx!
Edited Nov 18 at 4:04 PM
4_degree
Nov 18 at 4:03 PM
The only change we've made to the feature galleries is that galleries that haven't been updated in three months are dropped from the list of "possible selections" in the random selection. This shouldn't be affecting you. It's probably because there's 200 feature galleries in the list. The core group of active members is somewhere in the range of 200-300. About 50 of those are what I'd call really active, updating about once a week.

It's a big pile. The random number generator seems to be wonky sometimes, but there's literally nothing I can do to fix this in a short period of time. If it's any consolation, before we started blocking off features from non-updated galleries, I would only see my feature image come up about once every 2 months or so. (I visit the home page of this site at least 2-3 times a day, 50 or more times when I'm actively working on the site.)
noisywalrus
Plastic Future
Nov 18 at 4:21 PM
That makes sense. If I could count on our gallery showing up every so often then it wouldn't be much of a random number generator now, would it?
I just wanted to make sure that our gallery wasn't kicked out of the rotation for some strange reason. I remembered that an inactivity "limit" was imposed, but I couldn't remember the time frame.
Safe to say, we've been active enough to stay on the RS radar. Is that a good thing?
4_degree
Nov 18 at 7:16 PM
I have a (dumb?) question about the feature gallery display situation. Just trying to throw out an idea, not much worked over.

Ok bare with me for a sec. I don't know if I can explain this clearly or not, but here goes...NOTHUN?.

When we log in to RS we drop a cookie that lets us automatically come back and log in without typing our passwords, right? We can also "see" our handles and a "logged in as________" or "Welcome______" is displayed whenever we return to the RS homepage.

This is my question; Instead of people never seeing their feature gallery image, unless they have a lot of time to refresh the homepage a bunch of times, can the same sort of cookie programming savy be used for feature gallery submissions?

Going out on a limb.. uh-oh..

Think about this..

After logging in, and of course by some miraculous and magical wizardy of JN programming, one could see the first image (of the feature gallery) as their own submission be at all possible?

Now..That would be cool..

And once your submission is seen once or that is after the page is refreshed my the user, the main "public" RS homepage is invoked, or returned back to the user as the main display a possibility? Can you understand this? I barely can! ;P

Wow. I must be dreaming.. I better switch to de-caf.

On anime-beta for example, whenever I log in I see my forum image above my name. But then again, I only see my image.. and not others.. hmm, I guess therein lies a problem, looking for a solution, (if one is not already available) but I sure in the heck can't solve it!

Or how about. as a last resort..

feature gallery submissions on users "Acct.Pages". There is nothing graphical there anyway. That might not take much to pull off.. (but, that is easy for me to say)

Anyway..jn
Just a suggestion..
back to the grind.
Edited Nov 18 at 8:27 PM
E
Nov 18 at 7:46 PM
That wouldn't be hard, but it sorta defeats the purpose of having feature galleries. It's like reading a newpaper where all the news agrees with you. Good suggestion but turning this one down for now unless a lot of people come out of the woodwork and demand that their feature gallery come up first.

Think of it this way: in the whole law of averages way of the universe, every time your feature gallery comes up when you visit the site, it's not coming up for someone else. So, it's actually kind of a bad thing to see your feature gallery if you think about it.

If you all have the link I gave you in the original e-mail to force your feature gallery to come up, feel free to use that when forwarding non-RS friends to the site. Forcing features to comes up ignores all rules about closed galleries and non-recent updates.

For instance, if I do

http://www.rubberslug.com/?f=2
http://www.rubberslug.com/?f=106

I'll
see Eric's and Zero's features. The numbers currently go up to 260. Anything that fails to give you a gallery (You'll see the numbers dissappear, hard to explain) has been disabled for one reason or another.

I could have those links show up on your account pages if you all have misplaced them. Lemme know.
Edited Nov 18 at 11:22 PM
noisywalrus
Plastic Future
Nov 18 at 11:19 PM
Welcome! Login or Register