Introduce Yourself.

Definitely welcome aboard RS rusted180! The Maross Gold Book is incredible and it is definitely worth blacklighting and scanning the film strip as well. The recent 1/48 and 1/60s by Yamato are excellent too, hopefully you have a squad of the them.

Also, check out Macross Frontier episode 1 was recently released and shows some promise. For cels, yes you are right there are fakes and real ones are expensive, but if you pace yourself and work within your budget you can still find something that you will cherish.

Always nice to welcome another Macross fan!
momo
M O M O's cels
Jan 04 at 12:08 PM
Okay here goes...

Name: Nick, Palance takes after a movie hero of mine - Jack Palance. Anyone who can play major roles in Outlaw of Gor & Hawk the Slayer deserves some sort of fan club.

Function: Guyver Unit 1.

Location: Swindon, UK. Tip - If you find yourself driving towards a sign saying "Swindon this way" turnaround quickly!

Catchphrase: "Ahhhhh Yeahhhhhhh" - Stolen from Police Bot in Futurama

Favorite Anime Quote: "It's getting hot in here, so take off all your clothes" (Berserk out-takes)

Favorite anime people know: Berserk, Cowboy Bebop, Spirited Away, Ghost in the Shell, Rurounin Kenshin, Akira, Ninja Scroll . . .

Favorite anime people might not know: Wings of Honneamise - go see it.

Favorite anime studio: Hmm... Oriental Light and Magic i guess (Berserk)

Favorite artist: Warabe Aska - Not really anime related, but someone i've met and who's art i enjoy immensely.

Least Favorite Anime: Virus, Final Fantasy U

Cosplay: Only if i dress-up as Snorlax or Psyduck - note, this hasn't happened yet!

Conventions attended: London Expo in 2004/05

Seen fansubs on VHS: Nope :-(

When I'm not watching anime: Spending time with my girl / wishing i was Wario for a day.

What I really wanted to do: Not get out of bed today.

What did you have for breakfast: Bran Flakes - the most unexciting breakfast ever.

Can you rollerskate backwards: Only if i have rollerskates on backwards.

Musical instrument(s): A Guitar that collects dust - something i need to change.

Last good book you read: Naked Empire (Terry GoodKind)/ Plague Daemon.

Last book you read, good or not: Crayon Shin Chan Vol.1 - not technically a book, but really quite hilarious and worth a mention.

Favorite Book Quote: Can't think of one to hand. Probabyl something from "The Hungry Caterpiller" or "The Great Pie Robbery" (Richard Scarry)

Favorite Magazines and/or Comics: Can't say i read either at the moment. I liked Bucky O'Hare, Transformers & Zoids as a child.

Favorite movie: The Usual Suspects

Which team do you support: Manchester United, Sussex County Cricket Club and anything with England in the title.

What do you look like: Mr.Potato head after a 5 year old has muddled him up a bit and then dropped him on the floor.

Ever owned an 8-track player: Nope, sadly not.

Travelled more than six time zones away from home: Yup - Fiji, Australia, NZ, LA, Japan, Thailand, Hong Kong. . . .

If money were not a problem, I'd live here: With Hiyao Miyazaki.

True love, absolute power, or lots of cash (no "money-buys-me-power" answers): True love with someone who has the other two.

Broken bones: Nope, thankfully not.

Beer, hard liquor, cocktails, or non-drinker: Guinness Draught, Guinness Extra Cold, Guinness Original, Guinness Red . . .

Age you discovered that you probably don't want to be eating hot dogs: Sorry, I'm English. We only have curry and pies.

Number of jigsaw puzzles you've completed, lifetime: Way lower than the ones i gave up on.

music: Horrible question - noone should have to choose! Hooked on Opeth and varying Film and Game Soundtracks currently

odd or even: Neither, I choose 0.

first anime ever: Guyver

goal in life as a teenager: To purchase an Atari-ST. Thank the lord i didn't follow that one up.

favorite game: FF7, Diablo 2 (this ruined my life), Football Manager Series...

broken hearts, inflicted or sustained: Not the second, and i hope not the first.

ice cream: Gino Ginelli Toffee Fudge - amazing.
palance
Zodd's little tea house
Jan 16 at 6:16 PM
Name: Iceman57 (long long story and NOT coming from TOPGUN !)

Function: Automotive industry

Favorite Anime Quote: Atatatata watchaaa (Fist of the north star)

Favorite anime people know: Harlock SSX, Dragon ball till Cell (not this F**** Buu without a badass charism), Mysterious City of Gold, City Hunter, Space Cobra

Favorite anime people might not know: Interstella5555

Favorite anime studio: Pierrot

Favorite artist/creative person in anime/manga: Akira Toriyama

Least Favorite Anime: One piss

Cosplay: NO WAY, I hate european "discount" cosplay, asian ones rocks

Conventions attended: Not this year, only every two years to not have to see the same fellows

Seen fansubs on VHS: DBZ Cyborgs and Broly in mmmh... 1993 or 1994 I think so.

When I'm not watching anime: Working, Photoshoping, or in a good restaurant

What I really wanted to do: Be an astronaut

What did you have for breakfast: Baguette dude !!

Can you rollerskate backwards: Neither suicide myself

Musical instrument(s): None

Last good book you read: 200 years of Peugeot carmakers

Favorite Book Quote: -

Favorite Magazines and/or Comics: -

Favorite rhythm game: -

Favorite live-action movies: T2 judgment day.

Which team do you support: LA Lakers (like the 90's oldies)

What do you look like: Ask girls about :D

Ever owned an 8-track player: WTF is this ?

Travelled more than six time zones away from home: Definitively yes

If money were not a problem, I'd live here: on Mars !

True love, absolute power, or lots of cash (no "money-buys-me-power" answers): What about sex ? :D

Broken bones: Toes

Beer, hard liquor, cocktails, or non-drinker: Beer & wine.

Age you discovered that you probably don't want to be eating hot dogs: -

Number of jigsaw puzzles you've completed, lifetime: few

music: pop, rock, and a bit of metal

odd or even: kind one

first anime ever: battle angel alita in 1992-1994 I think so.

goal in life as a teenager: half pipe god

goal in life now: be a good father

favorite game: Zelda 3 a link to the past on Super Nes

favorite constant: pi

broken hearts, inflicted or sustained: heart on fire

ice cream: ben&jerries chunky monkey

BONUS :
goal on Rubberslug : get anime cel experts feeback on my master degree dissertation.
See toshiro.rubberslug.com

Questions welcome.
iceman57
Toshiro's laboratory
Feb 18 at 5:34 PM
Hi everyone, My name is Darcy. I am 25 years old and live in Canada. I've always been into most 80s cartoon shows growing up like Scooby-Doo, Real Ghostbusters, GI Joe, Smurfs, Masters Of The Uinverse and so on. In the 90's I use shows like Beetlejuice, Batman, Eek! The Cat, X-Men and so on. I use to also love to draw the myself. I loved drawing, especially after watching the shows, and beleive or not, instead of watching most cartoon shows I use look carefuly and study the characters.
I don't collect cels or anything, but I'm into model sheets because I can look and study the characters alot easier. To be good one needs to find a specific way that make you and your art unique. I use to be well into comics and began to discover how the artist draws and see also what was unique about the way they draw. Also, remember one very important piece of advice "Draw what you see".
I know this sounds kinda blunt to some people, but if you look carefully at what you are drawing some will find it is much easier to do so.
I'm sorry I don't have any cels in my posession, or have anythinf to share with you guys mainly because I can't afford them. I've seen a few model cels from "Droids", but they were about $250 each.
I have some model sheets saved on my PC, but it's mainly what you'll find all over the web.
Glad to meet you all, and looking forward to getting to know alot better.
Darcy
Dec 22 at 9:20 AM
Welcome, Darcy.

You know, a good portion of the outwork out there is not that expensive, and I'm not saying that in a "Everyone can drop $1K" sense. I mean that there is a lot of reasonably priced, good artwork, out there. If you have a lot of patience and are willing to look, there's a lot of stuff on E-bay and on Yahoo Japan that's pretty cheap. And if you just want model sheets, there's oodles of settei(and copy settei) out there that might fit what you're looking for.

Just be patient and look around. We all started with one cel or sketch, so don't feel embarassed to open up a gallery here even if you don't own much.

Good luck ^_^
Cutiebunny
Cutiebunny's Coven
Dec 22 at 3:07 PM
Welcome! Login or Register