Maintaining Framed cels?

You might want to join the Anime-Beta forum community, which has been talking about conservation issues for some time now. It requires an invite, but that's just to keep spambots out: send me an email and I'll get you one.

There are several members who feel strongly that framing art is a safe and valid solution to storage, and others (like myself) who opt for the online scan + upright binder solution. A good intro to the conservation issues is this thread:

http://www.anime-beta.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=29581&p=345176&hilit=library+storage#p345176

I'll just reinforce what I think are the most prudent measures:

1. Handle cels infrequently.
2. Include microchamber paper or some other water/vapor absorber in the storage space.
3. Keep away from light and in a stable temp./humidity environment.
4. Check cels every 3 months for signs of trouble and air them out once a year.

That's based on good library science practices and should keep cels in good condition indefinitely. I have received some with vinegar syndrome issues but (thank heavens) have never had one develop such a problem under my watch.
60something-sensei
Sensei's Anime Gallery
Jul 02 at 8:06 PM
Oh thank you!!

I did a lot of research before I bought my cel, but I'm always happy to learn more and reinforce what I already know! I also occasionally deal with art mediums that have similar care requirements. Thanks so much for the link, I'll be looking there for sure!

This is kind of branching out but I'm curious,
Is there a way to cure or slow the process of vinegar syndrome?

I was planning on airing my framed cel out every six months if possible, if not at least once a year. My frame shop removed the sealed back of the frame, but left what looks like foam core board. (But I know it isn't that. Mostly to keep it from getting damaged from behind in an accident or something.) There are small gaps around the edges. Is having the frame open like this enough to let it breath? How long should I let it air out, is there a recommended time?

In a couple years I'll be storing this cel how everyone has mentioned, but I'd like to display it for a bit longer and I'd like to do everything possible to keep it in good condition!
Aelith
Aelith's cel gallery!
Jul 05 at 1:32 AM
I don't believe a definitive "cure" for vinegar syndrome exists, as it's an effect of the chemical makeup of the celluloid sheet on which the image is painted. That's called "intrinsic vice" in the conservation field and just means that the object itself is chemically unstable. But there are best practices to slow it: protection from light (especially sunlight), maintenance in a climate-controlled environment, and regular inspection/airing. I believe once a year is considered adequate.

Microchamber paper is recommended by some conservators as a way of adsorbing fumes that could be harmful if allowed to build up. (But don't put it against the painted side or it may stick.)

But the research on this is mixed, as some investigators say it could also pull plasticizers out of the celluloid, leaving the plastic prone to warp and crack. In any case, there is some evidence that it can help prolong cel life,

Certainly it's well respected by conservators to protect paper products like sketches and original backgrounds. You might pick up a pack of this (available from Bags Unlimited and on eBay). Good luck and let me know if you'd like an invite to register on Beta. (Small but feisty bunch.)
60something-sensei
Sensei's Anime Gallery
Jul 05 at 10:26 AM
Welcome! Login or Register