Maintaining Framed cels?

The framer is right and wrong. The framer I worked with mentioned that he seals things in to prevent spiders/insects from getting in. (mats+wood=happy insect home). Also, rag is best, but there are numerous other acid-free/archival grade stuff.

It's probably fine to leave it sealed; just make sure to have an air-out schedule.

In terms of messing things up: You owning the cel is likely 10000000times better for the cel than it rotting in a dealer's or studio's shelf. Do remember that :).
It's your call to keep it framed or not; here's my anecdote:

I framed one of my favorites, and it kept it that way for a year. No damage/deterioration in that time.

What I found was this:
->One awesome cel framed
->Bunch of other cool cels in books
->Kept looking through cel books
->Made books organized just the way I like
->Framed cel kinda got forgotten

I found I enjoy flipping through my cels like pictures; open the book, follow some sort of progression, remember that episode...then put it back on the shelf. Then a few months later...repeat. Seeing the cel every day framed lost the excitement of turning the page of an Itoya and seeing that I-can't-believe-I-own-this cel :). That might be just me though.

I'd keep it framed for as long as you enjoy it that way; however, after some time, bag and binder it for long term storage.

I find these acid-free boards:
http://www.amazon.com/LIFE-Magazine-Backing-Boards-Count/dp/B0034YRN9U/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1435713680&sr=8-4&keywords=magazine+boards

Plus some cel-sized clearbags:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001XE767M?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

(Assuming it's a 9x10 cel)
Works pretty well. There's sticky stuff on the back of the bag that attaches to board; cel stays straight, cel doesn't touch the board, and the bag is open for air (snip corners if need be). Put somewhere dark or in an Itoya.

A final note: Enjoy your cel now, and understand it may not always look as bright or clear; it's still your cel, and it's still from a show you care about. It was created to be enjoyed; it's a cel's #1 purpose in life...so enjoy it :)
DOS4dinner
Jun 30 at 8:44 PM
I always find bugs since the home I'm in currently is a bit older. I'd hate to find any in my cel frame yeesh!

I like the idea of flipping through a book filled with cool cels, that sounds amazing! Though I don't think I'll be getting many more since I've got the one I think I most enjoy! (And im a total cheapskate lol. But who knows!) I can definitely see the: I can't believe I own this thing, happening. I glance up at mind and get the same feeling. (I have a lot of posters so it's always nice to set my eyes back on my cel and just stare at it.)

Thank you so much. It's like you knew exactly what I needed to hear. I've been so worried about it!
I'll definitely store it safely when I move out of here in a few years (maybe sooner?) For long term storage and staring sessions lol.

Until then I think I've decided to keep it framed but let it breathe every six months since the frame shop said they'd be happy to open it up and seal it for me at no charge.

Those links are great! I'll be buying those things sooner rather than later so I'll be ready to store it.

Are binders offered on amazon aswell?
(When it wasn't framed it was in a cel bag in between folded cardboard how it cel shipped.)

Thanks so much again. I feel like I can go to bed and not worry as much now.
I'm gonna enjoy the heck out of this crazy cool piece of plastic as long as I own it. C=

I might be back bugging for questions. I'm really happy I found this forum with nice people to help out a noob like me. I really appreciate it! =D

I've gotta say though,... You've kind of got me thinking about a binder full of cels. XD
Aelith
Aelith's cel gallery!
Jul 01 at 1:57 AM
Glad it's resolved :)

Anywho, the binders many use are made by Itoya, like this one:
http://www.amazon.com/ITOYA-ITYIA1211-Itoya-Art-Portfolios/dp/B00ED3SUA2/

I place the cel in a bag, the bag on the board, and then the board in the binder. The pockets on these are very clear and the whole thing is acid-free, so they work well. Many collectors have different methods; this has worked for me.

Note: Filling cel binders is a solid way to financial destruction...it's even in the rubberslug FAQ :P
DOS4dinner
Jul 01 at 6:14 PM
Oh thank you for the links! I could use these binders for my own art as well, I had no idea these things existed! Do you store the binder laying down or standing up? (does it matter?)

Hahaa. Don't worry, I've got plenty of other hobbies that'll ruin me financially... one more can't hurt right? xD
(I'm kidding... sorta... lol)
Thanks so much for all your help! I'll be sure to pester you for more info if any other questions come to mind! Muwhahahaaa.
Aelith
Aelith's cel gallery!
Jul 01 at 11:35 PM
Stored standing up.

Cels don't like heavy weight on them; high pressure can cause paint cracks in the long term. If you store them vertically, the cel won't feel much.

Horizontally is only recommended if that's the only way to keep it flat, and you can avoid putting much weight on top of it. (Backing boards solve this issue when storing vertically).

And yeah, feel free to pester. Cels are fun :P
DOS4dinner
Jul 02 at 10:39 AM
Welcome! Login or Register