Maintaining Framed cels?

Hello! I am a proud owner of one single cel from the anime Detective Conan lol. And then what I'm assuming is a fan cel or collectors cel.

ANYWAY,
My cel is currently framed and hangs above my desk, but I'm a bit worried about it. I can't find any information on how to take care of a framed cel anywhere.

I read once that they need to be taken out of their frame and aired out every few months? Is this true? Are there things I should be doing to make sure it's not getting damaged?

I'm not sure how it was framed, all I know is that it's floating between the back of the frame and the glass. At some angles it looks a bit wiggly, but I don't know if this is normal, or from the plexiglass. Any input would be awesome!

Here's some photos but I don't think it really shows how it's framed hahaha.

Photos:

http://d.facdn.net/art/p-aei/1393711117/1393711117.p-aei_img_3176.jpg

Anyway, any advice would be great!
Edited Jun 19 at 2:20 PM
Aelith
Aelith's cel gallery!
Jun 19 at 2:19 PM
Anybody reading this: Feel free to let me know if any of this is wrong; this is based on pretty thorough research, but I am NOT a conservation expert.

Three things:

Cels love air.

Cels hate light.

Cels hate acid. They even hate themselves the poor things :(

Anyway:
The materials you used in framing are critical:
-Plexiglass must be UV coated and replaced every couple of years. The coating does not last forever.

-Limit light exposure. Even if you have UV protected plexiglass, the lines on the cel will tend to fade in a bright room (I've heard bright fluorescent/incandescent light can also cause fading). Don't keep it in a bright room, or put some sort of curtain on it when you're not looking at it. Light may also increase the outgas process (especially UV)

-Acid: Must be framed with acid-free matting (and tape--professional frame shops have archival grade tape). Museum rag is the best. Not acid-free will cause the cel to approach vinegar syndrome faster.

-Airing out: Air it out every six months to a year. This prevents acetic acid or plasticizer buildup; cels are always outgassing. Check for vinegar smell; if detected, air out and remove ALL matting. Vinegar corrupted matting will continue destroying a cel. When airing, you probably don't have to un-mat the cel; just take the cel in mat and put a fan on it for a bit.

-Temperature: Make sure the wall it's on doesn't change temperature too much (eg, cold in the morning and hot when the sun is on it). Cels like constant room temperature.

-If you really want to be concerned, replace the matting every one to two years, as it absorbs the cel outgassing over time.

-Mounting: The ideal cel mounting setup is here:
http://www.framersworkshop.com/Animationcels/index.html

-Wiggles: Not sure. I'd take the backing off and look at the cel directly; if the cel is being bowed by a botched mounting job, that's bad.

-Backing board should be acid free. Bonus points if you have Microchamber paper in their too (assuming it's not touching the cel). Replace as needed/every 1-2 years.

Note: You can go nuts with conservation both in time and money, and the cel may be fine without all of these. However, If it's a perfect shot of a Ghibli film, you want all the above and maybe more.

I believe Disney/SR labs figured out the best thing is to keep cels in a climate controlled dark room with a weak fan blowing on them. Do keep that in mind if you are thinking real long term conservation; framing is not the best solution for long term conservation.

Source: Worked on framing an expensive cel with a professional framer. I'm not an expert, but I did quite a bit of research. Free free to ask anything else.
DOS4dinner
Jun 21 at 12:25 AM
And that is why people don't frame their cels! Yea, It's a bit annoying having to open up framed cels, replace mattes.....There's also always the concern that light might damage the cel despite what type of glass you put. I've also found out, through experience, that a lot of the framing professionals are not that professional at all, when it comes to cels. Biggest mistake they always make is that they slap a cel right on top of the background. Needless to say that the cel will stick, which is a problem. Floating the cels is a good option, as it gives space between the background and the cel. Only problem I've had with that is the fact that cels tend to bend, because they don't have a solid support in the back. With a cel I framed recently I just slid a sheet of polypropylene, like the one we put cels in for storage, so that way the cel won't stick to the background.
I still kinda think though that bagging them and tucking them away is better. I prefer to enjoy them on my computer screen. It really sucks that even after Disney complained in the 50's, after Snow White, that companies still used shitty materials. You would think that they would have come up with better solutions. Guess they just wanted to get the job done and go home. Didn't see this as art.
riona
Misty's cel gallery
Jun 23 at 4:29 AM
On bending: If you use edge strips with a floating setup, it holds them very well (see http://www.arclight.net/~pdb/nonfiction/animation-cels.html).

I did this once and had matting around the outer 1/2" or so around the cel. The strips tend to lightly clamp the cel and hold it flat since it's stuck in guided tracks. As a bonus, the cel is free to expand (due to temp etc) in the little paper tracks.

Again, 100% cotton archival paper (Strathmore charcoal archival sheets work well). This process isn't easy...it takes hours. If you have to make 1/4" strips (paint almost to the edge and you want to see the whole thing), it is very difficult...if it's not cut straight, you'll see it peek above the mats. I will say this: It works really well and looks great when finished. The only issue is when you have to do it _again_ to replace the mats.

That polypropylene sheet is a great idea to avoid the whole floating thing, although it'll tend to make it more air tight.

I tend to agree with the bag and hide in dark spot idea; if you have a good airflow setup, it is the best way I've seen to keep cels in good shape.
DOS4dinner
Jun 23 at 8:29 PM
Oh wow, it's been about a year and a half since I got this cel.

EDIT:
It seems to be framed using that method since it's floating and not touching anything. To be honest that's the website I looked at before taking it in to be framed. I don't know about the rag mat though. I should have asked while I was there. He opened the back of the frame up though and said I could bring it back to be re-sealed after I air it out. He seemed pretty amendment about having it sealed so that air wouldn't get to it, which seems to contradict what everyone is telling me here? xD

Keeping them in binders/cel bags isn't air tight and seems to be the most efficient way of maintaining them to me based on all the good input you guys are giving me.
At this point I don't know if I should keep it framed or not.

I might be over reacting thinking this hobby isn't for me, I'm just worried I'll do something to mess it up, and I'd be so bummed if I caused the ruin of a small piece of my favorite show. D=>
Edited Jun 30 at 2:55 PM
Aelith
Aelith's cel gallery!
Jun 30 at 11:42 AM
Welcome! Login or Register