minor changes

The problem with ratings:

1.) Who needs 'em?

That is the problem right there. NEEDING THEM- If someone thinks that they need to receive ratings in and of itself soley as some golden badge of honor, or append themselves with some recognition enhancement, at the expense of others, has to have rusting and leaking brain piping, with a squirt of juice seeping through the cracks.

(What the hell did I say?)

Oh yeah, I wanted to say it's all about the given dude,

o_O' hehe
E
Nov 12 at 7:18 AM
[quote]
If someone thinks that they need to receive ratings in and of itself soley as some golden badge of honor, or append themselves with some recognition enhancement, at the expense of others,[/quote]

I disagree, the numbers I'm seeing on this side say that over 98% of the votes being cast are fair, objective, and reasonable. I don't agree with all of them, but that's an opinion thing, not a ballot stuffing thing.

We need to face facts, with 700 galleries you need some sort of editorial advice to accentuate the positives. Hit counters and item counts are ignoring some really fantastic galleries that, in the past couple days, have suddenly found new fans.

The fundamental flaw of your argument is that individuals get high ratings at the expense of others. This is only true if the people who are "hurt" are just playing for stats in the first place. Ratings are disabled by default. It's non-essential to the operation of one's gallery. There is only a "loser" if a curator chooses to see himself or herself in that context.

Basically, you can't lose if you're not playing to win. So, don't play just to win. Don't want to play? No problem, you choose if you want to play. The consequences of turning rating on should be obvious -- you either get ratings you like or you ratings you don't.

People are having fun and looking at new galleries -- myself included. Attaching a number to a collectible is a bit rude, but look at how popular the Antique Road Show is... er, actually, not sure if you get this in Japan.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/roadshow/

I
don't really want to do text reviews or additional e-mail feedback review because I think it just creates trouble.
noisywalrus
Plastic Future
Nov 12 at 2:36 PM
[quote]
tokyoanime2 wrote:

Here's a suggestion about the rating tool:

Don't make a page that shows who stands where.[/quote]

That may be a solution, but then the ratings are turned into kind of a one-way street. That may not be such a bad thing, but I had hoped that people would keep things in perspective. It was educational and I don't regret turning it on for that short period of time.

I've spent some time while driving around town thinking of a non-fudgeable (my new word) formula. I think I've got one that might work, but I'll need some time to work out the details.

[quote]
I also think the "most hits" section should be done away with. Even some may be on there, because they were Rubberslug members longer, some may be from just refreshing their homepage several thousand times...[/quote]

As I said in my other post, if you want to go through that kind of trouble for a contest with no prizes, fine by me. By the way, I hope you're prepared to click 15,000 times just to make the list. By my calculations, that's at *least* 16 hours of clicking, assuming 3-4 seconds per page refresh.

If you'd like to be top-ranked, then prepare for 30+ hours of clicking. Shadowcat pwns.

Honestly, I have better things I can be doing. I already disavowed that counter as useless, I just added it because there was demand for it.

On the plus side, it is a crude popularity ranking. I think it's pretty obvious to just about anyone that a high number of visits to your gallery do not endow any special coolness.
noisywalrus
Plastic Future
Nov 12 at 2:52 PM
apparently, quotes are either broken or i committed a massive, ugly typo somewhere.

i need lunch.
noisywalrus
Plastic Future
Nov 12 at 2:53 PM
Oops! You're right. Not too well thought out-- too much beer last night, before posting..way too much...(*hiccups*).. I have to remind myself that you're in creation mode these days... :-)

I was not at ALL serious, just flippant-- I'm not a grinch wanting to spoil anyones fun...
I thought that it came off as a joke o-O'--

Continue on Jn, don't mind.. :-)

E
E
Nov 12 at 3:10 PM
Welcome! Login or Register