Gamers?

[quote]You know, I still HAVE the Dreamcast (takes me forever to actually get rid of anything) were there any good RPGs for it? [/quote]

The only two decent RPGs for Dreamcast were Skies of Arcadia and Grandia 2.

Skies had pretty generic FF gameplay and downright hilariously bad English dubbing in the battle mode ("Alpha Wave! Hiiiyyaaaaa!") but it does last a solid 40 hours, even if you try to rush through it. Random battles will begin to annoy you at around the 20 hour mark. It's the closest any RPG I've played has gotten to being a pure camp cartoon. Instead of the typical "Who am I? Who are you? Why are we all here?" philisophical garbage conversations, it's more along the lines of, "We're pirates! And pirates stick together!" type of faire. It doesn't pretend to be anything more than a video game -- sorta like how GI Joe never tried to make bold statements about American forign policy.

I like that.

Grandia had the most fun battle system in a console RPG. Great voice acting. The main character is one of the ninja turtles (for those who grew up in the 80s). I still think the bird is a figment of the guy's (Ryudo? Was that his name?) imagination.... it only talks to him and no one else. In only one scene in the entire game does the bird actually talk directly to another character.

Hmmm console RPGs seem to be popular, that'll be the next poll.
noisywalrus
Plastic Future
Sep 25 at 12:51 PM
Thanks for the rundown on those. They don't sound too bad. I'll see if I can still find them. If I ever get around to playing them, that's another story...

Flippy
Flippy
Flipyon's Cel Gallery
Sep 25 at 11:41 PM
I've played too many RPGs to count or list (SNES, Playstation 1 and 2). My favorites have been the Final Fantasy and Suikoden series. I did play FF Tactics when it came out and loved it (It would be too much "work" for you, Flip). The one thing that made it alot "easier" was raising two 99th level 999 HP Red Chocobos (Sparky and Phoenix) who could obliterate anything in their path with a fireball or two. I know alot of gamers didn't care for all the details and having to actually calculate WHERE you should move when you fight, but I thought it was more interesting than standing in a chorus line and taking turns swinging. I loved the first Wild Arms too (JACK!), but the puzzles in the second one pissed me off and I left it half done, never even glancing at the third game. I did somehow manage to survive all the Breath of Fire games. Right now, I'm finally up to Final Fantasy 10. It took me a long time to forgive SquareSoft for #8. After this, who knows?

I don't own a DreamCast. Just the two Playstations.
Cat
Cat's Litterbox of Cels
Sep 26 at 3:46 PM
this games rock. Zelda 1,2,all three gameboy ones and SNES one FF1 FF4 FF5 FF6 FF9 FF 2 and 3 for gameboy, legend and seceret of mana, FF tactics and advanced, Lunar one and two, Phantasy Star series, Shinig force Series, Chrono Trigger, Breath of Fire, Lufia one and two, and wow...so many freakin more!
Thrance
Thrance's Cels
Sep 26 at 11:04 PM
Welcome! Login or Register