"featued gallery" improvement

First:

New feature images have been added to the rotation. If you've submitted a feature before today and you haven't heard back from me yet, let me know ASAP so that I can take care of it.

Second:

To make this on-topic, I'm suggesting a change to how the featured gallery rotation thing works. Since there are in excess of 120 "featured gallery" images now in the rotation, how about we make it so that a user's featured gallery image will only come up if they've logged in sometime in the past, oh, month? That would make it so that active users get more time in the sun instead of sharing with folks who may no longer be actively using their sites.

Does anyone think this is a bad idea?

Lemme know. Thanks!

jn
noisywalrus
Plastic Future
Feb 24 at 10:33 AM
That sounds like a good idea, though there are a few feat gallery images I rather like. This may be a dumb idea that would require a good deal of time. But what if you looked through the logs at people who havent updated in a very very very long time, contact them and see if they wish to have their galleries up still? Im sure most do, but theres the off chance maybe the person no longer even has the collection or who knows what? But I do like that idea, or maybe you can set certain rings. Like galleries 1-40 be rotated in one week, the next its 41-80 or somethin along those lines?
Thrance
Thrance's Cels
Feb 24 at 12:02 PM
I like the new featured gallery idea. Hmmm, I need to submit some new ones! (so many to choose from ^_^)
Rheytarian
Rheytarian's Anime Alcove
Feb 24 at 3:42 PM
I think random is fair. Why?

1.) if they logged in or not, they can still participate as a viewers/visitors. Some people like to "lurk".

(obviously, I should become one of them ^-^)

2.) Some people quit collecting and have beautiful collections and have fulfilled their dreams. So, they don`t need to be here as much, but they still should be seen for arts sake. It may be about good stuff.

Alternatives:

Right now, there are stats on the most popular sites, so to balance it out why not show the sites with feature images that have low hit counts, and let the more popular sites get less rotation.

OR----

Or the opposite...give sites with high hits, high rotation numbers they deserve it. Kinda like a senority system combined with just good stuff to look at and/or great member participation.

(..I can hear the `screaming` in cyberspace from here) ^-^

OR---

Keep it random and limit the number of submissions per month. Kicking out, the old and updating the new. Now you're working jn!
^-^

Or---

I`ll just ....shut up already ^-^ ;;

The first idea was pretty good afterall.

E
E
Feb 24 at 8:57 PM

This post just brought to my memory that the cel I have listed with Jason as my 'featured gallery' cel I actually recently sold from my collection when making a purge down to 'one cel of each char'. Eek!

Perhaps there can be a way for us to be able to turn off the featured section so we don't have to bother poor Jason so much about it? Or maybe a template of some sort where we can edit the images ourselves? Less work for the busy walrus in the end, tho prolly a lot of work anyways to add the functionality/template :)

I think the featured section is really neat and I think the idea that the more recently updated galleries or more recent logins should be featured more prominantly, but I hate to be a pest about my own gallery :)

Cheers,
-Heather
mellon
Feb 26 at 8:45 AM
Welcome! Login or Register