rubberslug at 5

Keropi has a lot of interesting points and I have seen simular in other hobbies I have had.

I see Rubberslug still on an upswing , 900+ galleries and a lot of good people and fantastic artwork.

As with most of the cel community there are personality conflicts the pop up from time to time. In some cases the fact that there is less and less quality cels out there has lead to problems when someone else buys or outbids another for a cel desired by several.

We also have several members with strong personalities and opinions which is fine while discussing things in a calm and respectful manner. I have seen though that certain hot button issues (politics , religion ect,) tend to amp up and cause some to lose the ability to see the other side and instead fly off into an attempt to change the others opinion to their own. This never works and in most cases each read what they want into the words typed on the screen. It becomes hard to remember that sometimes discression is the better part of valor and it's better to aggree to disaggree than to have the last word.

The chatroom has been a great addition and has enabled me to make a lot of good friends.
I can't aggree that it should only be 18+ for those younger are still RS members and should have the ability to come into chat , make friends and hopefully learn more about their chosen hobby.
That being said , we do have what we call the Midnight Rule which originally was off Austin Time so those younger than 18 should understand that if they choose to be in chat at that time they might be exposed to a more adult conversation and if they are uneasily should log out.
I have been in chat quite late and never seen anything that would be offencive or crude but if someone might be uncomfortable discussing lets say someones latest Hentei or adult cel they bought , one needs to show some personal responcibility and log out.

The only other problem I have found with chat is that too many times I have gone in to talk when there are 6 - 8 people in the room but I find only one or two talking cause the others are multitasking with IM's , checking auctions or something else than chat.

I'm glad I found Rubberslug , We should all raise a glass to Jason who had the vision and the ability to make this a reality.
JWR
Ryan's Gallery
Aug 16 at 12:06 AM
Happy Birthday! Thank you Rubberslug and Jason and everyone in the community. It really is the best way to meet other collectors and I'm so glad I joined.

**~*~*~CHEERS!*~*~*~*
unicorngallery
Unicorn Gallery
Aug 16 at 1:57 AM
Being subject to age-related discrimination for most of my life, I refuse to age-restrict ranges to things unless someone wants to raise a legal challenge. In the words of my fearless American president, I say, "Bring it on."

The group is close knit enough to notice any blatant outsiders coming in simply to cause trouble. (i.e. trolling MySpace for dates)

What environment would we be creating that is unsuitable for minors? I don't like any implication that there should ever be patently "adult" discussion going on, regardless of time of day. Much of why you don't hear any "complaints" is because the people who don't like it simply leave. I speak to others in the chatroom as I would to casual acquaintances at a pub, not like I'm stuck in a bad episode of Elimidate.

Ironically enough, "adult" discussions have nothing to do with things that are actually adult. Like, say, tips on buying your first home. Or the death of a parent. Or where your child is applying for college.

I talk about the same things when I was 15 that I do today. Politics, anime, science, the arts, movies, music, girl trouble, video games, life goals, etc. Yet somehow, that makes me less adult than talking about drugs, sex, and whatever else. What does that prove... other than I clearly must have something to prove?

I treat some young people like adults and some adults like children. It depends on what their behavior demands. I respect intelligence and social grace regardless of age, and expect the same in return.
Edited Aug 16 at 3:31 AM
noisywalrus
Plastic Future
Aug 16 at 3:26 AM
I'm not for age discrimination either. I have met some 16 year olds who were more mature than most 35 year olds I know (including myself)

JWR's time curfew doesn't really work either because, as hard as it may be to imagine, not all of us are from the US. RS is internationally accessible and we?re on different time tables.
Wendy
Royal Crimson
Aug 16 at 11:07 AM
Happy Birthday RS and many well deserved thanks to the creator Jason and the merry mods including the Cap'n and the rest of ta crew!

Although I've never met the majority of my fellow crew memhers on the jolly RS, I feel like I found kindred spirits thanks to this cel community.

Although undesirable behavior does exist in this hobby, it is a given in any hobby. There are countless collectors we all admired or once knew who've either quit, gone underground, or just left the scene for whatever reasons... they've had to deal with the same stressors we are all faced with today. This behavior and thrash is NOTHING new, it has been around for a looong time and in comparison to the existance of this hobby even the oldest and most veteran RSrs, are relatively new to the scene. As we all know the NET makes it so much easier to hunt, hurt, bond, share, and communicate with one another... the choice is really up to each of us to determine how the noise affects us.

My best suggestion on how cope is to just -accept it. Why waste your time questioning what you have zero control over? Your limited energy and resources are better used on learning how to properly filter the "noise". There still are great people who truthfully will help and embrace one another, but be that as it may, they should not be the primary motivation to collect and/or remain in any community. Some people just do not play well with others. But should that turn you away from a hobby that you are passionate about? Ultimately, as well know cel collecting is a intensively competitive and highly personal hobby... we collect for ourselves first and foremost. But this does not mean we cannot remain civil adults and show genuine interest in our fellow collectors. I may not care for what you collect, I can empathize and respect the dedication you exhibit. ^_^

As for an age requirement for the chatroom, IMO this goes for any chat room for forum... we should feel free to let it hang out regardless if minors might be present. I consider RS my virtual cel pub where almost everyone knows your name and even if they don't they still welcome you. Personally I do not feel we need to censor ourselves and/or regulate the contents of our discussions in the chatroom or in the forums. I believe Jason's comments perfectly address the heart of the matter, " [Society] treat[s] some young people like adults and some adults like children. It depends on what their behavior demands. [Rubbersluggers encourage people to] respect intelligence and social grace regardless of age, and expect the same in return."

Overall, I firmly believe RS is growing stronger every year and I would like to personally extend a warm thanks to each of you for your contributions and keeping RS the cel heaven to reside at. ^_^

*raises cold frothy mugs of root beer* Here's hoping RS endures and lives on for generations to come! CHEERS ONE AND ALL!! And luscious apples for the Cap'n too! *CRUNCH!!*
Edited Aug 16 at 11:50 AM
momo
M O M O's cels
Aug 16 at 11:24 AM
Welcome! Login or Register