Sale adverts in weblogs

The weblogs will return. Soon. We just wanted to start a conversation, and this was the fastest way to get everyone's attention. Thanks for the comments so far.

I've been learning more about the moderation system used by Slashdot over the last hour or so while drinking coffee (from a friend who will be helping in site development). It seems like a fun thing to implement here with some modifications.

Basically, it's like playing a game. Everyone has a random chance to be a moderator for a day. These random moderators can mark things up or down and earn points by doing so.

Also, this means we now have a use for those zen points piling up. More points will give you a better chance at being selected as a moderator for a day.

It'll take some time to implement, but trust me, it'll be fun. The last time I said something would be fun is the chat room. And it's fun, right? See, I don't kid around about fun.
noisywalrus
Plastic Future
Aug 02 at 11:29 PM
btw... weblogs should be about "anything". We don't want to force anyone to take the good (a cel community) with the bad (limitations on content).

Chris (http://chriscelsite.rubberslug.com) said something that I feel very strongly about.

[quote]
If there are nothing but ads then I?d just assume that the most interesting thing that 768 open galleries have to say is ?I have ___ for sale.?

I think the main problem might be that not that many people want to post in their blogs, rather than too many people using the blogs as sale ads.

I think if you put a lot of restrictions on the blogs you?ll just end up with less posts about anything.
[/quote]

We can't -- and shouldn't -- expect every post to be about classical Greek theater or bonding mechanisms in polypeptide chains or an abridged history of rock and roll. But we want to make everyone comfortable in a community, even if it is a mundane one, rather than always feel like someone is pointing a billboard at them.
Edited Aug 02 at 11:36 PM
noisywalrus
Plastic Future
Aug 02 at 11:35 PM
It seems like there are a handful of members that have way too much time in their hands. That has to be it. Who else would have the time to complain about what people say in their blogs or forums?
Notice I said a handfull of members. I think we a few hundred members, please correct me if I am wrong. It seems like, most people mind their business and post their cels then, MOVE ON to other daily activities. I definitely recommend this over complaining.
If anybody has that much time and live in the valley,(LA area)come down and let's shoot some hoops. We're always a man short.

If you dare disagree, you will have to duel me.... (I wanna say "to the death" but It doesn't rhyme.)

Edited Aug 03 at 4:55 AM
Al and Nic
Al & Nic's Cel Carnival
Aug 03 at 4:53 AM
I have to agree with Al & Nic. I have posted one or two sales posts, but that was it. No one is asking anyone to read every single blog out there. As for me, if I come across a blog with a title that doesn't interest me, I just bypass it, including flame wars...simple as that. It's really not hard to ignore those posts. I thought the weblogs were for basically about anything, not just cel related things.

I really do think complaints against something that can be completely ignored by a user is caused by excessive freetime, something which most of us would really love to have but can't due to real world 'stuff.' But that's my 10 cents. And I'm not saying that all users are like that, just a handful like how Al & Nic pointed out.
SME
SME's Celestial Corner
Aug 03 at 7:35 AM
I?ve read all the posts in this thread carefully before posting this and I have to say I fully agree with Blueheaven here. Please take the time to read what he?s saying carefully, he makes a lot of sense. He?s not attacking anyone.
I too was getting annoyed by all the For Sale only announcements in the weblogs. I remember one day I visited the RS homepage and there were 5 uploads with sale notices only.

And I think it?s not a matter of having too much free time on your hands, but more a matter of making the free time for your hobby and something you care about, not to mention spend a lot of money on.
It?s basically about being an active part of a community or an inactive one and simply ignore things. To each his own.

Personally I love the weblogs. I love reading about what happens in the lives of people I know in this cel community and whom I consider my friends. I may not always post a comment, but I definitely do read them; because they are fun!

But lately I had the feeling the blogs were on a runaway course, I do not care for reading childish blogs about how the owner of ?this? gallery is a total bitch or the owner of ?that? gallery has crappy cels.
Don?t get me wrong, I do not mind whatsoever if someone is writing down his/her frustrations because of something that happened that day, I think that that is just what these blogs are for and I?ve certainly done that myself. I do however have a problem with blogs that are just made to openly insult anyone or to start childish squabbles. Remember this is an open website, and the whole world has access to it.

My point is; because only the 5 last made weblogs show up on the home page, it seemed a lot of interesting blogs were pushed away from the home page because of these ?1-line-I-have-something-for-sale? and ?I-hate-your-cels? blogs.
Maybe if this can be expanded to 8 it would be better?

I?m not sure about a ?moderator for a day? though. ?Moderator for a week? may be more effective. A day only is perhaps too easily ignored, not everyone visits the board daily.

Then again; I?m not a moderator nor the owner of this wonderful site, so what do I know ^_^
Wendy
Royal Crimson
Aug 03 at 8:22 AM
Welcome! Login or Register