when should we ban galleries?

Tori,

Banning is always an option for those who after attempts to help them correct their gallery still don't get it. The hope is to have them become good members and get the full enjoyment of Rubberslug. I am willing to donate my time and effort to help educate them.

Joe
JWR
Ryan's Gallery
Feb 13 at 6:51 PM
Yeah, I saw your e-mail about this. We'll start by making it very, painfully, silly clear what original production art is on the screen that allows people to create galleries.

It'll be short enough so that people will actually read it. I don't want a big legalese looking thing or else people will scroll to the bottom and won't bother, and then they'll get banned and wonder why...
Edited Feb 14 at 8:49 PM
noisywalrus
Plastic Future
Feb 14 at 8:48 PM
I never recieved an answer to my side question.

When a gallery is banned do they recieve any notification explaining what their violation was that resulted in their gallery being banned?
JWR
Ryan's Gallery
Feb 19 at 12:53 PM
Yes! [u]Every gallery that is banned receives notification[/u], if they have a legitimate email to begin with, and there is a reason "why it was banned" stated, followed by a form letter that instructs the owner how to contact and respond to his/her moderator or administrator.

Many galleries are re-opened by the way =)
This is not a zero-sum game.

All it takes is to do things properly from the start. No one that is a moderator is a bad person (Or the "hatchet man"). We all are cel collectors, just like everyone else.

We want to promote the joy that comes from the hobby, not the reverse. No one likes banning.

[b]A bit of history:[/b]

There was a time, when we had dozens upon dozens of bad gallery start-ups (Like image dumps, sales sites, bandwidth thieves, adolescent malcontents, etc).

The owners that have been here for at least two years might tell you.. It was a mess at times. So, this led to stricter site enforcement, and things became **much better**. Although there had been a lot of debate about this before hand! It was agreed upon that something and someone had to police the place.

After about a year of "tough love", the site slowly started policing itself. Moderators rarely were called on to ban, and it has basically been like that since that time.

You have to imagine, 3 years ago, there were only a few dozen sites here.. word caught on and servers had to be changed, bandits were running around, and on and on.. and jn is still pulling out his hair..=)

We didn't want to be the bad guys/gals all of the time. We didn't want to be to begin with! We still aren't if you can believe that =)

If you ever encounter a lock-out situation (not you specifically, but in general) and you feel that it was a mistake, and or unjustified, (happens sometimes) then by all means contact that person via email that banned your gallery and explain your situation. I am sure that a compromise can be reached, so that, your gallery can be re-opened..
E
Feb 19 at 7:50 PM
Thanks E for clearing that up.

No one doubts that the moderators have an important job and do it well. I for one thank you all for putting in the time.

When I joined Rubberslug I had several cels to display but I admit I am still a computer novice.
I truly had no idea what a screen cap was or a file dump. I have since through this site learned a lot.

What conserned me and others was the question of fairness especially when dealing with those who are just starting out. Your explaination shows that there is a chance given to correct mistakes and rejoin in compliance.

As I have found through years of business there is one truth. If someone has a good experience you will tell 5 persons, a bad one you will tell 25. We all want Rubberslug to be a fun place to be a part of.

Joe
JWR
Ryan's Gallery
Feb 19 at 8:30 PM
Welcome! Login or Register