when should we ban galleries?

We're strict people. For the moment, we'll ban for reasons that may end up confusing newbies. We've always assumed that banning errant galleries keeps the content of the real collectors relevant and tight. It's been true so far.

If you're reading this, you're probably already a member here and know all about the issue described above. No promises that we will make any changes based on the results of this thread, but please discuss. We are listening.
noisywalrus
Plastic Future
Feb 10 at 9:35 AM
All can agree that those who blatently violate the rules should be banned. Those who try to post for sale, load only non cel items or are caught with stolen images (Must be proved) fall into that catagory.
The queston that overtook the previous thread is what to do with a new gallery owner who is found in violation of the rules. There are some who expressed the opinion that any violation of the rules is found they should be banned and if the choose to they can reset up a new gallery that complys. (Side question- When banned is a notice as to why sent?) Others, myself included expressed the opinion that a "newbie" should be notified of the problem and be given assistance to rectify it before being banned.
Two possible corrective measures were expressed on the previous thread were 1. A new terms of use page that requires it to be read and an agreement box be checked before being allowed to proceed to creating their gallery. This is a good idea but should include a clear description of what is prohibited with a link that shows it visually such as what is a screen cap vs a cel. 2. Creating a "Smite button" that closes a gallery and sends a message explaining the violation and instructions on what to do to bring the gallery back into compliance before it can be reopened.
Cel collecting is fun and Rubberslug is the best place to share and learn about it. I feel that if it takes a little help to allow new members fully enjoy our hobby it's worth it. Today's newbie may be the person who helps you find your primo wish list cel tommorrow.

Joe Ryan
Edited Feb 10 at 9:25 PM
JWR
Ryan's Gallery
Feb 10 at 9:15 PM
Thanks Jason for starting this thread.
Thanks Joe for leading us off on this topic.
I Think I have a idea that may make everyone happy.
When you first start to make your gallery pages up and have not put any cels in your gallery yet, Your site is in limbo and not seen on the site.
What if this limbo time was made to last a time limit even if you put cels up, 2 weeks to a month for all newbies and only accessible by RS members if they wish go to them.
This way bad sites could be rooted out before they open for all to see.
This would also let RS members instruct the new folk on what they can have and not have on there sites via the feedback link, We have the voting link on the gallery home pages that can be used to let jason know when the site is ready to be put up a new member could only get to open there site if it's ready and not before.
Jason I don't know if this can be done but I think this would answer alot of what everyone has talked about here, Some that don't want to see them and a way for others that do to help the way they want to, So everyone is happy and no bogus sites get put up to boot.
Who knows you might make a new friend or two helping out a newbie.
I hope this can work for all, What do you all think?
ROY

backlotanimation
Backlotanimation
Feb 10 at 10:22 PM
Till Jason and the mod's decide on a set policy on how we as a community will handle new gallerys who when starting out are found to have problems. I have taken it upon myself to check the new gallery listings and view them. I will email via the feedback link any I find in violation, explaining what I found wrong and how it can be corrected. I then recommend they voluntarily temporayly close their gallery till they are in compliance.
If you find a newly created gallery that has problems before posting them on the "official ban" thread. Please feel free to email me at jryan@direcway.com or from my feedback link at Ryan's gallery and I will contact the gallery.
You may always send your own feeback to help a new gallery comply.
JWR
Ryan's Gallery
Feb 13 at 3:32 PM
send a notice if they dont fix it ban them but i always thought rs was pretty clear on the rules
magiktori
Tori's Cels
Feb 13 at 6:32 PM
Welcome! Login or Register