in the year 2014

[adminpoll]52[/adminpoll]

This question comes from Rheytarian. I don't understand the 4th option she included so these will have to do.

I think I'm leaning towards collecting only what I can frame my office and explain to visitors in 30 seconds or less. I don't know if I mentioned this before but my dream collection goes something like having a gigantic time line wall in my gigantic development studio (ha) that has one or two cool cels, storyboards, layouts, or sketches from every interesting show made from 1970 onward. Naturally, this display would have clever little metal titlecards that would give the name and synopsis of the show, plus a few intesting little facts about the show or how it relates to the rest of the shows in the continuum. See how Cowboy Bebop is a vague remake of Lupin, see how anime robots evolve from Astro Boy to Mazinger to Evangelion, track Miyazaki's film career, etc., etc. etc.

It would sorta look like Jack Black's "Who Killed Rock?" diagram from "School of Rock", which I still really want a poster of if anyone knows where to find one.

Or I might just stick to two cel books and a lots of scratch off lottery tickets. *shrug*
Edited Aug 04 at 1:59 AM
noisywalrus
Plastic Future
Aug 04 at 1:57 AM
lol, sorry for the incoherent 4th question. I was aiming for those who somehow regret cel collecting. @_@ When asked about the dusty cel books in the corner, some might be embarassed that they once spend entire paychecks on painted transarencies. Weirdos, I know. :P
Rheytarian
Rheytarian's Anime Alcove
Aug 04 at 9:15 PM
I picked the second choice. I've definately slowed down collecting already and have become a lot more picky about what I do buy. I think I will always love collecting artwork though.
nesuferit
Nesuferit's Cel Gallery
Aug 04 at 10:50 PM
I figure in ten years I will be able to recreate some episodes of Battle Athletes in their entirety from my cel collection.

Then I will be committed to an asylum and my relatives will sell my collection for $5 in a yard sale.
Edited Aug 04 at 11:15 PM
Gabriel
Gabriel's cels
Aug 04 at 11:14 PM
Actually, some friends were joking about this site saying that we could probably cobble together a really strange bit of fan fiction just by panning cels (possibly drawing in talking South Park-style mouths) and animating a few sequences (from the people who have sequences) from all the cels we have on this site. Of course, then you'd need to give it a suitably horrible English dub. (or splice together enough sound bites from various episodes to make something resembling a conversation)

I wonder what the Rubberslug anime would be about? What do we have enough cels of to make an episode of something? I can imagine we can have Sakura vs. some random DBZ archvillain or something.
noisywalrus
Plastic Future
Aug 05 at 11:47 AM
Welcome! Login or Register