links temporarily disabled

Links sections have been temporarily disabled for a reworking of the underlying database structure. For the rest of the night and possibly some of tomorrow, links pages on your sites may not come up correctly while I tinker. Sorry for the inconvenience. I'll post again when I'm done.

Thanks.
noisywalrus
Plastic Future
Jun 08 at 5:12 PM
Grrrr...

:) :) :)
Startyde
The Startyde
Jun 08 at 6:19 PM
Links should be reactivated after a dirty operation and very mild testing. Please bang on it. Lots. The quirks I know about include the link editing page not formatting correctly after adding a catagory (a refresh fixes this for some odd reason) and possibly some catagory ordering silliness. I've got a funny feeling about what I did so, again, please try to break it.

[edit] Now that I think about it, double emphasis on *please*. Although it may seem a little trivial right now, parts of the code that run the links section will be running a very important new part of this site. Help me make this as stable as possible.

Thanks. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Edited Jun 09 at 11:04 AM
noisywalrus
Plastic Future
Jun 09 at 1:51 AM
I got an error after I edited my gallery links. When I looked on my links page on my gallery I got the following error:

Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a000d'

Type mismatch: 'isnothing'

/gallery/links.asp, line 287

I got this same error using my Fedora Core 1/Netscape 7.1 system, and on my Windows XP Home system with both IE 6.0 and Netscape 7.1.
Edited Jun 09 at 1:04 PM
cyphr99
Cyphr's Cels
Jun 09 at 12:46 PM
Ha, I added that bug just now pretty much while trying to work around a bug in ASP/ADO front-end and not the db handling. (I think it's a bug in ASP at least.) I'll remove that line. Thanks.

This isn't one of the bugs I'm terribly concerned about since the whole front-end will eventually be going to C# .NET anyway instead of this awful VBScript language. I tried to do that to compensate for a weird ASP bug that happens if someone double clicks on a delete button. Guess it didn't work. Without that line, you'll sometimes find that you can double-click a delete button to throw a weird exception. Everything still deletes normally.

The big ones I'm worried about include anything that might be able to mess up the "priority reordering" sections (i.e. - if you can manage to somehow fool RS into assigning a priority that is out of range, negative, or duplicated) or any bugs that might somehow corrupt the nesting of multiple catagories. I haven't found anything that screws this up yet but like I said, this code is going to run some important stuff and needs to be pretty solid.

btw - I downloaded Firefox to see if the site mostly holds up to it, since it seems to be available for every platform. I'll get Netscape 7.1 too. Sitting down and converting the site -- at least the gallery pages -- to mostly proper CSS is one of my big to-do projects as well.
Edited Jun 09 at 5:07 PM
noisywalrus
Plastic Future
Jun 09 at 5:00 PM
Welcome! Login or Register