The state of the Anime Cel collecting community.

@ Maxsidious
uppity = Goman, unubore, kiza
The community can be sometimes annoying as hell.
Like everywhere you can find some drama queens, here maybe even more of them as in other communities.
I wouldn't care about them.
Just choose friends and people wisely in this community and it can be a real positive experience and fun.

Good luck with your page and happy hunting.
Edited Oct 22 at 6:06 AM
Gabe
Gabe's Ruin
Oct 19 at 11:18 AM

Happy to read this thread and the responses. The feeling is reminiscent of the exciting times from the 90s and the Animanga forum days. Truthfully, miss those days! It was a fun and exciting time to be part of the cel community and arguably cons were much more personal too! That said, Rubberslug has been our home since many Animanga, Geocities, Earthlink and other free domain based galleries closed down. After those closed, our own gallery was down for years too, and that's why we truly love Rubberslug for all of the joy it has brought. As others have echoed, thank you oh great Lobster King, Jason! =) Also, would certainly be happy to participate again with a monthly RS membership, if Jason is willing to let us know if it'd help him. =)

Some RS members have commented how some collectors do not participate or contribute on RS or AB. Is this really surprising considering production cels are not even created, or used anymore? Odds are many cel collectors (especially pre-Netscape days) have completely stopped, and moved on. For ourselves, we've often wavered with completely quitting and selling all of our cels, but stayed even if it just means silently appreciating and sending sometimes, (unanswered) congratulation emails to cel gallery owners. :( Also, as others have accurately noted, people have other responsibilities and live adventures. Mix in life dreams such as travel, starting a family, starting a business, balanced with caring for elderly, planning for retirement (never mind FIRE), and coping with job loss and countless other health concerns... somehow, cel collecting, just does not hold as much appeal. However we have found thanks to the wonders of the net, some collectors do find their way back and reconnect! When this happens it is a sheer joy to find old friends and make new ones too. So if you are new to cel collecting welcome aboard; you are in for quite a ride in this hobby! =)

@ Maxsidious and any newer cel collectors, here are a few ideas that help us: Be patient, research the RS and Animanga forum threads, there is a wealth of knowledge within! Also while you work, regardless of where you are in your career, read/learn more about personal finance (no one will ever care more about your money than you do), and save more for retirement, so one day you can -choose- to walk away. Lastly, remember to save money regularly for your dream cels; you never know when it will appear!

Stay positive! Enjoy the cel collecting hobby! =)
Edited Oct 22 at 6:29 PM
momo
M O M O's cels
Oct 21 at 12:01 AM
Hey all! I was just reading this thread. I have been cel collecting since 1998 (over 17 years). Since then, I have had a lot of life experiences happen that took priority such as being a doctor, having 2 young kids, being a wife, etc. So, participation for me has been very difficult and my interests have completely changed since when I first started collecting. But, I am still here, and do not plan to go away any time soon.

I have always appreciated Jason and RS, even when it has not been updated in over 5 years. I really have no complaints about it because I appreciate the hard work he has done, and appreciated the chance getting to know everyone here and see everyone's wonderful hobbies and interests. Even with the drama, it is to be expected. And I am definitely not new to being the target in drama in the past.

In regards to the site, I do not expect any changes. At this time, I am in process of slowly building my own cel gallery. It is a very long process, but will be worth it in the end. While I do appreciate everything Rubberslug has done, if I want a change, I am just working on doing it myself at my own pace.
star-phoenix
Star Phoenix Art Gallery
Oct 23 at 10:00 PM
Welcome! Login or Register