The state of the Anime Cel collecting community.

I get that people are frustrated. I understand and I'm super grateful for everyone's support over the years. For everyone I can't tell personally: thank you.

Sometimes the server itself might crash which might lead to some weird stuff. Site's still up though.

I'd love to talk about what it would take to get more technical attention paid to Rubberslug and its community. That means finding a candidate with true hands-on experience with an ancient technology stack and lots of free time.

We're not talking pre-Facebook. We're talking pre-MySpace. Pre-Friendster.

Someone mentioned scraping the site? In theory, you could get maybe 50% of the way there but you'd be missing a whole ton of metadata that way. You could maybe get a gallery engine 50% working in a week and 90% in a month. It would be a long time before it was usable though.

Direct knowledge transfer (i.e. "give me your database") would come with a VERY high bar as it would be non-trivial from a technical and legal perspective. Also, not free and possibly structured as a license. There's personal e-mail addresses in there and I would need legal protection against someone losing/misusing that.

TLDR: E-mail me if you think you're qualified and have resources to take this on, happy to talk. Sorry that it's complicated. :(

TLDR#2: Other things RS is older than: "TLDR".
noisywalrus
Plastic Future
Oct 15 at 3:47 PM
I have not much constructive to add to the conversation, except this: Jason, you are my hero. Seriously. I credit you singlehandedly with keeping me in the collecting hobby, as I left for years, lost all my scans, and found my RS gallery still up...thank you for all that you have done and continue to do! I am beyond impressed with your skills and dedication.
lunacels
Luna Illuminata
Oct 15 at 11:57 PM
I just want to echo lunacels and thank Jason. Without RS - I don't have the skills for creating my own site - my collection would be a very private affair. Thanks Jason.

Also, interesting thread.
birdie
Oni Hime's Palace of Delights
Oct 16 at 8:06 AM
WTF! as i came here and was reading the first part i thought "Animanga came back to live on RS".

@ Maxsidious you should save your energy for something different instead to create something that is not really appreciate by some of the people here.

@ Jason thanks for creating and keeping RS alive.

No wonder that I'm just a lurker and lost interest in this community.
freaky99
Oct 18 at 11:02 AM
Shortly after I started this thread I began having many discussions with members of the cel collecting community, and learned quite a bit about those directly involved with keeping it up. However, it's quite unsettling to see the amount of finger-pointing, name calling, and accusatory statements made by members in the few forums I've attempted to participate on.

So far I, a complete newbie with fewer than 10 posts here and AB, have been called an intellectual property thief, a thread hi-jacker, and "uppity" (whatever that means.) This kind of behavior is toxic for anyone (especially newbies) to participate in, so it comes to no surprise that the cel collecting community is dying.

Although I do have an interest in building a new site, I no longer have an interest in trying to collaborate with the community in the early months of development. For the time being, I am contempt with exploring the galleries here on RS and reading whats new on the forums. To all of those who work so hard on keeping this community alive and friendly, thanks. :)
Edited Oct 18 at 6:54 PM
Maxsidious
Oct 18 at 6:50 PM
Welcome! Login or Register