The Matrix Revolutions

hmmm, my 'free movie' ticket will come in handy...
Rheytarian
Rheytarian's Anime Alcove
Nov 05 at 11:50 AM
I was sooooo disappointed in how Revolutions turned out =(~! I read the script b4 hand...And was really thinking this is gonna end great.

I went and saw the movie today...And...It was just disappointing ot me. The movie as a whole was choppy and seemed to be just thrown together. In the end it was like "O...I saw that coming." Even the famous fight/actions scenes were horrid. The Smith fight was cool...but...Compared ot the Matrix, and Reloaded action/fight scenes...It was nothing.

*Sigh*...I wish it was as good as I was hoping for...But I have ot agree with a lot of the 1 star ratings I've been reading.

*Goes ot watch the Lobby scene, and the Freeway Chase scene again*
Ms. Poe
Ms. Poe
Nov 07 at 6:38 PM
I am like the "yang in your ying". I was completely happy with it :-)

The equation had to be balanced. It was a stalemate. Very Asian conceptual ending to me, even if it didn't inspire some joy on a superficial level. It was a dark ending- very Japanese, if you are familiar with that kind of cinema. In anime I guess stories like Mononoke Hime or Nausicca, could compare. Those inconclusive ends, after battles over good and evil. There is a point where the forces cross over and cancel each other out. I find that Revolutions reflected that. It was a sugar coated bitter pill to swallow, like most good medicine.

I think that is one of the reasons that the actors and directors of Revolutions, during the worldwide showing, were in Japan. Keanu Reeves, Jada Pinkett Smith, and the W brothers were all here in Japan on the opening night.

But I do agree that the fight scenes with Seraph, Trinity, and Morphes in the club could have been ramped up a lot better, especially Seraph, who is a hell of a martial artist.

That said though, Neo and Trinity had to go...the ultimate "computer nerds" rule the world had to be sacrificed and they had to be "martyred". Even Morpheus and all of his bull had to be trimmed down and humbled. It is all very comic book and very Asian. It read like the many manga that I go through.

People don't like 'em in the West. They like clarity and winners or losers, they like the good guy to win. (A good clean and entertaining heart-throb of a story) In the East they know that sometimes the bad guy wins, there is vagueness, darkness, fuzziness, and sometimes there is a draw.

Dragonball fans might be a bit upset, since the last fight scene between Agent Smith and Neo was exactly out of Dragonball Z! So, at least I got to see what would happen if DBZ ever hit the cinema with ?real actors?.

I am soooo boored by Hollywood happy endings and manufactured story lines; I appreciated the way that Revolutions stuck to, and throttled up the melancholy. It was repression from the start to finish and there was no grand win of the human beings or Neo over the machines.

The whole Christ comparative was consistent with Matrix throughout and until the end. Neo (the One, the savior-complex, Mr. Anderson; the name Anderson, means the son of God, etc) died. He had to. Good cancelled out evil, but the captain (Neo) had to go down with the ship. He was not to become a living God on earth now. At least that is mho.

But I liked the complete trilogy! So, there you have it. Maybe I am one of the few, that didn't expect too much or take it way too seriously. I just enjoy special effects and martial arts mixed in that kind of cyper-punk genre that is rarely explored on the Big Screen. It has that underground anti-mainstream feel that attracts me.
E
Nov 08 at 12:02 AM
I saw this today. Better than the second one and not nearly as bad as many of the reviews grill it. It's not unsalvagable.

The message of this movie is that explosions are cool. If the creators clearly want the brain to be stowed before takeoff, then I'll judge based on that. (Army of Darkness: great movie!) The Matrix people seemed to think they were better than that. So, my comments apply to the "smart" movie that they apparently thought they made.

I'm not comfortable with the oft-cited "foreign films are better than Hollywood because their endings are more thought-provoking". It's silly to believe this if you've seen any number of bad HK gangster flicks or, heck, anime. "98% of everything is crap" applies to everything, everywhere.

As far as action:

The only believable guy with skills was Seraph. That guy has some devilish speed. After throwing that kick at the stunt guy in the club, it was painfully obvious how soft he was playing with Keanu in the second movie.

Everyone else got the quick camera cut treatment to prevent you from realizing how dorky they looked. Two months of dance lessons and a few wires don't replace a lifetime of fine muscle control. CG character animation for live actors is just downright horrible, but again better than the crimes aginst cinema committed in Reloaded. It is improving. Give it ten years.

[quote]
I am soooo boored by Hollywood happy endings and manufactured story lines; I appreciated the way that Revolutions stuck to, and throttled up the melancholy.[/quote]

Err, we watched different movies. I saw a) a cheap plug for yet another sequel... he'll be back! and b) a little kid telling me how pretty sunsets are. Only "AI" tops that for sheer cheese.

The last thirty minutes needs to be hacked off. Those directors guys needed an editor who knew how to say "no". They were sniffing too much of their own glue. If the second and third movie were edited down to a single 120 minute film and the numerous glaring plot holes were patched with The Largest Roll of Electrical Tape Ever, it would have actually been pretty decent. (and cheaper)
noisywalrus
Plastic Future
Nov 09 at 4:03 AM
I remember your last review of Reloaded and Matrix o-0'
Why go see Revolutions?? a little masochism thing eh?

Remeber the TV show "Kung-fu?" David Carradine?

-"Grasshopper, when you can take the pebble from my hand, you are ready?" = Matrix.

Superman the Movie = Matrix Reloaded

The Seven Samurai = Revolutions

I liked all of those actually.

It's that simple to me. No great explectations, but enjoyable. I can't wait for the next one too!
:-).. Why not? I am not looking to be saved!

I guess the next installment, if there is one, will be call "Matrix Resurrection!"

haha..
E
Nov 09 at 6:59 AM
Welcome! Login or Register