Enough choices?

It's probably important to note that for some, cels are a means to an end. The media is secondary to the idea that this piece of collectible is related to a title that a collector likes.

On the other hand, what you seem to be suggesting is that to collectors of your mindset the media itself -- cels -- is fascinating as art itself, without context. Just as a guess, but would you be fairly willing to purchase cels from a title you've never seen E? Personally, I see lots of art that I scratch my head and think, "Wow, they can draw really well.... but I've never seen it... so...." and I end up not buying. I think that's probably because for me, liking the show (even just a *little*, which explains why I have Burn Up cels. heh.) ultimately comes before liking the art.

Remiind to make, "Would you buy art from a show you've never seen?" a poll one of these days. I'm actually pretty curious now, since before you said anything I was just assuming that most collectors thought that reproductions etc. were not as desirable regardless of art quality. (assumption: in cel collecting, context is extremely important, "technical" art quality is secondary)

Wouldn't be the first time I'm wrong. Hey, another good poll question buried in there...

jn

ps - limited poll options encourage conversation, forgot to mention that point =)
noisywalrus
Plastic Future
Oct 21 at 8:03 PM
collect only things that go under the camera or have something to do with a cel going under a camera

That is a HUGE draw! Watching anime with other collectors is always punctuated with shouts of "got that" or "need that" But for me at least it is the image I'm after. A particular art director or striking scene, I can't say if post production work will feel the same(I have hope because they are painted as individuals, I'll have to wait and find out.) But I do know, I do not enjoy even limited edition reproduction work and sadly I haven't fallen in love with the sketches. Even though they were every bit as challenging to hunt down and acquire, I have yet to sit and watch a scene frame by frame in an attempt to positively ID the douga. Maybe I'll change and there are always exceptions to be made, until then I'll fall back on older series and become a collector of antiquities!
Foechadan
Nearachd Nathair Sgiathach
Oct 22 at 1:01 AM
That`s a good question Jason.

I used to feel that way, that is, if I didn't see it and feel it, I didn't buy it or collect it. And then something happened, I bought my last "dream cel". My addiction subsided, and it started me on a new trail.

So, I started to grow through my old ideas, and acquire new ones. No more cravings, but still have interest in anime art. This opened my eyes to just the cels themselves, and not my "cherished" shows.
No artsy-farsy comparisons. I don't like most art anyway. It is even weird that I like this stuff. But, I like the big ones a lot. The first hanken cel that I bought, kinda had this *special affect on me.
It let me know that *BIG was cool too, really cool~^. That was the first crack on my cranium probably :-)
E
Oct 22 at 2:28 AM
I found this latest poll interesting...

I'm at the point in my collecting days that I will buy pretty much anything production to satisfy my desire for art from a series. I can't be that picky! I even started late.. and didn't have the opportunity TO be that picky.

So instead of lusting after a certain screencapped wishlist item, I reduced it to "will take any cel from such-and-such a scene." Now, due to the amazing amount of CG anime, it is "will take any genga/douga/layout of this character in any scene". It just gets more vague.

Also, genga/douga/layouts in general tend to be less expensive than what the cel counterparts would most likely be. There are exceptions to this, of course, but like i said - in general.

I personally find that douga are the least interesting of production art. They are often bland and colorless. I have a few in my collection, but I don't like them nearly as much as genga. Genga are gorgeous - they have the humanity of sketchy lines and feature little scribbles from the animators. I love getting a genga set that has all the little steps and correction included.

I do like Rilezu cels though. I think it's a genius idea! Getting the original douga copied and made into a cel..... pure genius. So it is *almost* what you saw on screen. And there is only one of them (unlike reproduction cels). It's just a shame that it took too long to catch on. So far none of my fave CG animes have them ~_~;;
spinizuey
Golden Dawn
Oct 22 at 3:00 PM
I voted that I would stop collecting if there were no more cels. I can't love a sketch more than a cel no matter how hard I try. One of the reasons why I love cels so much is the color. My eyes are heavily drawn to colors; if something is colorful, I'l more inclined to look and appreciate.

Also, to me, sketches seem 'messy.' With those lines everywhere, and markings all over the place, I feel like it's a rough draft of some genius's masterpiece and I'm looking for the finished product.

A cel to me is like a painting. I just love to imagine what frames would go great with my cels. I can't see sketches framed on a wall.

As for CGI shows, I am willing to collect a few genga/ douga of my favorite characters from such shows, but I'm not as eager (or obsessed) in finding them as with cels.

Oh yeah, I used to be the type to not collect from shows that I haven't seen before, but that has changed. If I like it, and if I have the money, I'll go for it. Then I'll go watch it. ;)
Rheytarian
Rheytarian's Anime Alcove
Oct 22 at 3:16 PM
Welcome! Login or Register