Enough choices?

That poll is a tough call, since NO CELS is a pretty unimaginable thing for me att this point in time. I am no fortune teller but production cels are on the way out it seems, however the post production cels, and reproduction cels I predict will still be out there for quite a long time I think. Then there are sericels, print cels, fine art cels, etc.

Now if those also stop churning out, and collectors stop selling, and all that there is left are sketches, hmm, I don`t know but I might be 70-90 years old by that time.. tough call... but okay, why not.. YES.. I'd collect sketches, if I were still interested in anime at all by that time.
E
Oct 20 at 10:51 PM
I did buy some douga......no sir, I didn't like it. I like having the art, and appreciate the work that goes into them, but they just don't feel the same. They seem cold, I think I love cels because of the vivid colors and the depth. I'm thinking of trying those fancy new post production cels(.......well as soon as I start bringing home a paycheck again, they are kind of pricey). I'm waiting for the Rilezu from E's Otherwise, very succulent character designs mmmm.
Foechadan
Nearachd Nathair Sgiathach
Oct 20 at 11:34 PM
before I get yelled at.......there are definatly some layouts and Genga out there that do give me warm fuzzy feelings. But they too tend to be rather pricey and I would still rather sink my limited budget into colorful shiny things.
Foechadan
Nearachd Nathair Sgiathach
Oct 20 at 11:43 PM
Hey, it's a tough world. Write-in votes not counted. =)

I was under the assumption that a vast majority of collectors (at least of the anime variety) collect only things that go under the camera or have something to do with a cel going under a camera. The allure of being able to pause a DVD or unroll a poster and point out that the artwork in your book is the one and only original of that mass-produced piece is stronger than the natural attachment to prints or post-production artwork. It's the "own a piece of your favorite anime" argument.

Wrong?

jn
noisywalrus
Plastic Future
Oct 21 at 4:11 PM
Depends on your preferences I guess. Personally, I'm stepping back to unravel my mind from being a production cel purist collector.

There are cels that I really like that are not related to the actually screened versions. I also like cels that are used for promotional purposes or hankens. I like fine art anime lithographs too. So, personally I have a large range of anime cels and goods to choose from. It just happened this way.

I no longer try to sweat out the auctions or dealers looking for that "one cel" or bargain now, because I have found most of the "production" cels that I want. I do not discount other cels or non-production cels. I just see them as being in different categories. I try not to be on the "high horse".

So, for me, it is a "been there, done that" feeling creeping into my collecting now. I am simply branching out.

And you are right it is not a one person poll, but that is my take on it anyway.
E
Oct 21 at 6:58 PM
Welcome! Login or Register