Happy 10th Birthday, Rubberslug!

Yipes! I missed this yesterday. I do believe August 16, 2001 was the "official" launch date for Rubberslug. I didn't really bring a present or make a cake, though.

Stuff I have now that I didn't have in 2001:

- A dog and a rabbit, who are wonderful and adorable and fluffy.
- A phone that sends text messages.
- A backyard. (But in this drought, the lawn is dead.)
- Tons of awesome internet friends, thanks to Rubberslug.
- A program for undergraduate entrepreneurs at the University of Texas. Really excited about this.
- A startup focused on leaving short recommendations about your friends. Even more excited about this.

I tried to look up news from August 16, 2001, but it doesn't seem like anything notable happened that day.

Popular music at the time was, well, pretty terrible:

http://top40.about.com/od/top10lists/tp/top10summer2001.htm
http://www.all-reviews.com/music-songs/August01Week3.htm

So let's just talk about ourselves instead.

What do you like about your life that is different from 10 years ago? Leave it as a comment below!
Edited Aug 17 at 11:07 AM
noisywalrus
Plastic Future
Aug 17 at 11:01 AM
Congratulations, my friend. I'm glad things have gone so well in the past decade. Thanks again for taking the time and effort to put together this wonderful site and keep it going over the years.

So, what do I like about my life that is different from ten years ago? I'm doing what I love for a living. That's pretty awesome, and I'm thankful to be so lucky.
Shemp
Black Mirror
Aug 17 at 5:35 PM
Yes, thank you! What do I like about my life now that is different from 10 years ago?

-- I'm grateful to know now that it's still okay if you really do not know where life will take you and what you would be doing. I'm the only one in my 2001 graduating high school class who opted to go to a local, private, and prestigious university. (Everyone else scattered across the US, didn't go at all, or opted for community college.) Granted, I'm still looking for a full time job... but at least i'm working part-time and it's something! *thumbs up*
-- I was just a straight up fan of anime back then. Then I accidently stumbled upon your RS and Luna-Art's gallery four years later. Needless to say you converted me... :-P
Edited Aug 18 at 1:04 AM
ginga123
Ginga's Anime Galactica
Aug 18 at 12:36 AM
It's actually a big anniversary for me coming up, and not really a happy one. This November it will be exactly 10 years since I woke up with my mystery illness, which I still haven't been able to get a diagnosis, or even working treatment for. It was the strangest thing too, I was more or less fine the day before, and then I woke up unable to get out of bed.

Despite my life being unable to go onto where I want to go (hopefully yet), I've changed a lot since then. I now know exactly what I want to do with my life, my then-tiny Pokemon toy collection is now expanded to two bookcases, and I have a lot of online friends. Ideally I wish I could finally get closure and get a correct diagnosis before the year ends, and while I don't see that happening, one day it'll probably finally get figured out.
Sui Kune
Mystic Firefly Cel Gallery
Aug 18 at 7:39 PM
Yikes! JN it has been that long.. wow..

I started that same year here and boy did this site change and morph over time.. =)

From going from a collector-moderator, to a dusty old lurker from time to time has been the change for me, not counting switching countries in the process.
E
Aug 19 at 1:47 AM
Welcome! Login or Register