Hello!!!My name is Fred I'm just getting started in this whole cel collecting thing!! It's awesome a... [autonamed]

Hello!!!

My name is Fred I'm just getting started in this whole cel collecting thing!! It's awesome and I love it...

I was wondering if you guys could tell me wether this totoro cel is a fake or an original???

http://img8.imageshack.us/i/mizu628img600x450126808.jpg/

http://img199.imageshack.us/i/mizu628img600x450126808.jpg/

http://img534.imageshack.us/i/mizu628img600x450126808.jpg/

Thanks
a lot!!!
Fredinsky
Fredinsky's Shelter
Mar 12 at 12:14 PM
Not being an expert on Totoro cels since I don't have any in my collection my 1st impression is that it's a fan cel.

In viewing other cels from this movie in some of the other galeries on RS there are some differences mainly the lack of cut numbers on the top. What you might want to do is see if you can find this exact scene on you dvd while veiwing in on a computer and go frame by frame. If you find it then compare closely the image and the cel. Pay close attention to any minute differences in lines and such.
JWR
Ryan's Gallery
Mar 12 at 2:48 PM
I think they are neither original nor fake (in the sense that they wasn't made to deceive someone). I believe they are fan cels. The auction images on YJ showed there are no cel numbers on the cels, and the seller stated that he/she doesn't know anything about whether they are production cels. As the matter of the fact, the seller canceled the auctions first time around because he/she was worried that people were asking about cel numbers and uncomfortable about the idea (seller wrote that in his/her cancellation note). Other clues are the fact that the cels are regular 9 x 10.5 size rather than the 9 x 14 sizes for Totoro cels used in the movie, and the fact that the cel lines are quite thick. Of course, the fact the auctions started at 500 yen were pretty much a dead give away immediately, and the fact that the auctions ended at 4500 and 4600 yen respectively indicated that people knew they are fan cels. I was actually the 2nd highest bidder on those two auctions because I thought they might be nice hanging in the Little One's room. They are adorable so they are definitely something to treasure. Congratulations if you are the new owner ^_^!
RatherSilent
Mar 12 at 9:47 PM
Damn... haha

I'm the new owner... I'm happy though...

But isn't the price extremely high for a fan cel???

take care
Fredinsky
Fredinsky's Shelter
Mar 12 at 11:16 PM
Well, the prices for these two went over my current budget, which is why I backed off from the auctions. But people frequently pay a lot more for fan cels. You should check out Nathalie's fan cel gallery on Rubberslug for examples. I can't afford them, but I have long been a fan of her work. People often paid more than $100 US dollars for them.

If those had been true Totoro production cels, the typical opening prices for good shots of Cat Bus and Totoro would be > 100,000 yen, and that would be on the low end.

In my humble opinion, fan cels are beautiful artwork in their own right. I really think what you got are cute and something to be happy and proud of. But if you are having 2nd thought, please feel free to let me know. I still think they would look cute hanging in the baby's room.
RatherSilent
Mar 13 at 2:27 AM
Welcome! Login or Register