Plastic pockets for cel portfolios?

A while back I purchased a cel portfolio when buying some WB cels, and I would like to put some more art in it. Anyone who knows where I can get plastic pockets especially designed for animation cels?
If you're wondering which type I mean, I can post a link to a picture of my portfolio.

Any help is appreciated!
madde84
Madeleine's Animaniacs cels
Apr 01 at 7:03 AM
Are you referring to plastic bags that you can put a cel into and then load it into the portfolio pages or portfolio pages that are specifically designed for animation cels.

In the case of the first, you can buy polypropelene bags in a variety of sizes. A4Ls are good for your standard sized cels, B4s for your standard backgrounds and B4Ls for the exceptionally large and odd-shaped items. The largest that cel bags for cels/sketches themselves come in is B4Ls. If you have a particularly large or bulky item, use B4Ls and tailor it to your needs.

As for the latter case, I've heard that there is a type of folder that allows you to add addtional pages. I have no clue as to who the manufacturer is, let alone the plastic material used in making these pages. I know that Itoya pages are made of polypropelene & acid free paper, but a cheaper solution may be to get one of the B4 folders with the polypropelene pages that they ocassionally sell on E-bay.
Cutiebunny
Cutiebunny's Coven
Apr 01 at 11:43 AM
Thank you! I'll check Ebay ;)
madde84
Madeleine's Animaniacs cels
Apr 02 at 1:54 AM
Do you have one of those Warner Bros. Collector Portfolios that Clampett Studios came out with a while back? The leather bound binder type of portfolio?

Like this one http://www.vegalleries.com/batman/InsidePortfolio.jpg

If you do, you can get poly binder inserts at BagsUnlimited. http://www.bagsunlimited.com/cart/browse.asp?subcat=384

Measure your cels first, though. I've found that some 12 field cels with untrimmed backgrounds are slightly too big and don't fit. The lobby card pages are slightly smaller than the pages that come with the binder.

Another option is custom made mylar sleeves. That's what I did for my WB portfolio. Depends if you wanna use mylar or polypropylene. I know anime cel collectors swear by polypropylene, but other animation art experts say mylar is better if you have to store your cels.
Edited Apr 03 at 1:08 AM
MacKettric
Kett's Cel Gallery
Apr 03 at 1:00 AM
I was actually buying some additional page for my cel folder this weekend. I actually use the black art folder binders that art students use for their art portfolios. I went to the local craft chain store Michaels and was about to buy some additional pages when I say a new 11x17 binder with pages you can slip in good size cels for only $19.99.

The portfolios usually run $30 plus another $10 for pages so getting the new one saved me some bucks. It looks like a standard school folder, only downside is there is no closure/zipper or handle for it. So I'll be using it for some of my more regular cel collection. Plus with the 40% office coupon I got the folder for around $13 plus tax.
baronv
Baron V's Animation Cel Gallery
Feb 01 at 1:15 PM
Welcome! Login or Register