odd question

Ok I will admit this, good anime stories move me. More so than real life stories from movies ect. My question is...am I alone or are there others who are moved as I am?

I cannot remember the title of the story, but it was from Robot Carnival. It was the story of the scientist who made the android girl. It's been eons since I have even seen it and I cannot recall it at good detail but I do remember at the end when he was old I got a tad teary eyed. Ah well Im a total gimp...but I use this as a example of what I mean by moved. I would really like to hear from others. Thanks!
Thrance
Thrance's Cels
Jun 17 at 1:33 AM
Actually you are not alone at all. I really feel that an animation is every bit as capable if not moreso in capturing the essense of an emotion through it's imagery than a live-action movie. The thing about anime is that one seems to turn on the show and begin watching and by the time they finish, they've completely forgotten that what was being watched was just animated figures. Really, it's the same reason why people fall in love with certain characters, because there's something about that character that they can latch onto, something that they can identify with and/or genuinely relate to. Like with my gallery, you'll notice that nagi is my character of choice. For some reason, when I saw her character I became hooked and could identify with the singularness that she displays (having to travel a long and narrow road by herself to accomplish her goals). Anyways before I go way off on a tangent here, the point is....No, you're not alone. As a matter of fact, the scene that gets me everytime is ryoko's death scene from Tenchi TV1 (Tenchi Universe). When she's laying there all by herself inside the cold space ship and she looks up at ryo-ohki and says, "I'm lonely" and then the bass hits that low note and you see that she's been bleeding to death the whole time....I get chills and tears all at the same time. And the moving part of it is to see at the very end when ryoko is still waiting on tenchi even after all of that. It's like saying that she would even be willing to come back from the dead for him. Nevertheless, that's my take on it. hehe. ^.^
nagi
Shintaro's Fun Fair
Jun 17 at 2:25 AM
I love film a bit more than anime, BUT---I cannot believe how many times that I have seen certain anime over and over again for the pure joy of it, and not tire of it. I have rarely done that with a film, excluding a rare few. Also, I have never cried while watching a movie. I mean I have shed a tear or two, but I had never really cried in silence, with tears rolling down my cheeks. But that all changed after seeing GHIBLI's "Grave of the Fireflies" for the first time. That movie was somehow the sadest film/anime that I have ever seen in my entire life. It actually gives me "the shivers" now just thinking about renting it again. It caught me completely off guard. Only horror films could have had the same shocking effect, but in a different way of course.
E
Jun 17 at 3:15 AM
I figured I was not alone, but just was not sure if it was just me in the depth of the feelings. I know a long time ago when I was a wee kiddy, I balled my eyes out when Optimus Prime died in Transformers.

I am like you E, films dont cause me to cry ect. Though horror films do move me, Im just odd like that. Anyways...Another few scenes that really moved me where from Robotech/Macross. I was ubber mad when umm...ah I dunno the Japanese names so I'll use the American ones, when Rick and MinMei where basicaly over with. When Rick just hung up on her I was like...what the heck. But when my fav character Roy died...I was just blown away.

I agree also with you, Nagi, about the connection to characters. Though for some, I have no idea what the connection is, unless its a wanting to be like that character. Ah well.

Who woulda thought toons could be so deep? Not people who just see anime as just that, a cartoon. I hate when people say things like that. To each their own I suppose.
Thrance
Thrance's Cels
Jun 17 at 8:44 PM
I have to wholeheartedly agree with E, Grave of the Fireflies hit me so hard I could barely breathe. But I'm infamous for tearing up. My friend thinks it's hilarious to set me in front of those last episodes of Fruits Basket. When vibe girl refuses to help on the bridge.......nobody at work believes what a sap I really am, geeze I cried when Butter-free left Ash.
But it's true I think anime is much more dramatic, because when watching anime you have all ready made a commitment to believe in something extrordinary. No wonder I'm so hooked.
Foechadan
Nearachd Nathair Sgiathach
Jun 17 at 9:55 PM
Welcome! Login or Register