authentic?

You mean this one, right?

http://anime-link.com/dbz/dbz37.jpg

It looks to me like it says "BULUMA." It's probably a mistake on the animator's part. I've never seen DB, so I'm not entirely sure. But, Japanese consonants are always paired with vowels. So, the exact romanization of her name would be Buluma or Buruma (since r and l are the same sound and symbol in Japanese). I'm guessing that the Japanese spelling is ブルマ. BU-LU-MA

The only time an "exact" romanization has consonants which are not followed by a vowel is when the original Japanese has a double consonant. But, a consonant without a vowel simply does not exist in the Japanese alphabet--they write it differently (with a small tsu). Sounds like Sh, ch, ry, etc. also get a special spelling in Japanese. ^_^ Basically, hiragana and katakana don't have symbols just for consonants. But, anime and manga creators can choose their own romanization, and they often cut out the vowels, especially if they're voiceless vowels.

Anyway, feel free to ask any questions. RS isn't the easiest forum to search, and there's always a person or two here who is willing to help. ^_^
klet
klet's Island of Misfit Cels
Jul 03 at 3:18 AM
[i]thanks!

i think you're right as bulma is spelt in a different way in the japanese version of the show (buruma. ブルマ)...

it seems mahoro has a stick firmly wedged up his backside so it's nice to hear a friendly voice on here. ^^

thank you again for your help, much appreciated.

dean. : )[/i]
Edited Jul 03 at 4:54 AM
dean.
Jul 03 at 4:53 AM
dean, you asked if this cel is "authentic" and since you do not know the dealers well enough you will not know who is reputable that's why JWR and myself commented about rick. the simple answer is the owner of anime link has been around for awhile and has the trust of the cel community. he typically knows if a cel is an actual production cel vs a fan or hanken and notes it as such on the site.

in my experience usually a better indicator of a cels authenticity is whether or not it includes a matching douga. good luck all the same with your research, hopefully the cel you are interested won't sell during the summer cons.
Edited Jul 03 at 2:52 PM
momo
M O M O's cels
Jul 03 at 2:42 PM
[i]thank you.

my apologies for the comment previous to your own, your answer just came off a little condescending that's all. i appreciate you're trying to help.

dean. : )[/i]
dean.
Jul 03 at 3:13 PM
no problem, this oldie but goodie site has something that might help you with future identification of the different sketches used up to the finished cel!
enjoy!!

http://www.anime-cel.com/cel.htm
momo
M O M O's cels
Jul 07 at 9:50 PM
Welcome! Login or Register