the aeroplane flies high

The city is Austin. The weather is sunny.

I got lots of loot. A few pictures too. Surprisingly, though, no cels. I only managed to find one cel shop because I didn't spend much time looking for cels.

I had a gut feeling that browsing Yahoo Japan would be infinitely easier than digging through stacks and stacks of shows in small shops looks for series you've heard of, much less want to get cels from. I haven't bought any cels in over a year and thought I'd reward myself if I found something I liked, but that didn't happen.

I won't name any names, but the one place I did go looked like the prices were custom-tailored for American tourists. I'm not clever enough to find the real bargains I guess? Or maybe I just don't know anyone.

I ended up eating or giving away all the food I had. Coconut is my new favorite Pocky flavor.
Now, I must trek down to the nearest Chinese supermarket and have them gouge me for a 300% profit margin. Shoulda bought a case.

I do have at least one thing to give away though. I picked up a nifty set of Inuyasha figurines. Man, people on eBay seriously rip folks off.

We need to find a contest to go with it. Does anyone have a good idea for a contest? Raffles are boring. Maybe a scavenger hunt of some kind, but having to do with cels in people's galleries?

For the next week or so, we'll be working on making this site more orderly. The moderators now have the ability to vaporize people.

jn
noisywalrus
Plastic Future
Apr 27 at 8:49 PM
It's funny, because the only sushi we ate we got from the supermarket. (I also bought a Gamboy Advance SP and Bubble Bobble from a supermarket for the plane ride home *snicker*)

The supermarket has that weird Asian grocer smell (All you ABC's out there know what I'm talking about) except everything is stocked ten deep and super-clean.

Instead of roast chicken under the heatlamps and deli-fresh bread on the shelf, it's freshly wrapped onigiri and various bits of tempura on the hot foods shelf. Very Twilight Zone.

jn
noisywalrus
Plastic Future
Apr 27 at 8:56 PM
Jason you had said "We need to find a contest to go with it. Does anyone have a good idea for a contest? Raffles are boring. Maybe a scavenger hunt of some kind, but having to do with cels in people's galleries?"

this is kinda a scavenger hunt idea...take a certain amount of cels from various galleries. Like who knows, 10-20 total...take a small piece of the image, but one that will enable the seeker to tell which image it is. First person to name all the characters and gallery its from wins. Does that sound ok?
Thrance
Thrance's Cels
Apr 27 at 10:27 PM
"the aeroplane flies high"
And here I thought this topic was going to be about The Smashing Pumpkins...
candyman
Apr 28 at 11:34 AM
"this is kinda a scavenger hunt idea...take a certain amount of cels from various galleries. Like who knows, 10-20 total...take a small piece of the image, but one that will enable the seeker to tell which image it is. First person to name all the characters and gallery its from wins. Does that sound ok? "

-------------

You're in luck, Thrance. We did just that. We've got 15 cels picked out from various members -- with their permission, of course -- and we're in the process of finalizing the rules and such for the contest.

Expect Rubberslug's first ever contest for real live loot to roll out within the next few days.

note to self: this forum needs a quote function.

jn
noisywalrus
Plastic Future
May 19 at 1:53 AM
Welcome! Login or Register