Wax On, Wax Off

Just to pass along some info.

I usually have a software based firewall set up on my computer. If I have it on when I get to RS I will not see a majority of the images(jpg)on the front page, however I can see gallery images. When I turn it off no problems of course. The same thing happens when I log in. I have to turn it off first before I try to upload something or else I will get a "bounce". This also happens to me when I go to "AnimeTaro" with the same effect for some reason. With the older format, I didn't have these things happen. I don't know what is triggering this effect. Does anyone?
E
Jan 28 at 9:23 PM
I'm not sure how your firewall is setup, but I do know this...

The main change made to speed around here is that images are now all kept on a separate server. Having images on a page load from a separate server might raise some sort of red flag for your firewall. It would be unusual if this is the case since most popup ads are served in the same way.

Ensure that both incoming and outgoing traffic through port 80 is allowed. (HTTP, for web pages)Also, port 443 should allow traffic both incoming and outgoing even though that shouldn't matter for this site. (SSL, secure connections for credit cards and such)

For now, that's about all I can think of. Let me know if any of that works.

jn
noisywalrus
Plastic Future
Jan 29 at 5:28 PM
jn, your analysis of the situation was right on the money. I went "under the hood" to see what the problem was with the "firewall",,,and it was just that..the unusual problem that you pointed out. This software is treating the images as pop-ups..Although, very effective in blocking things out, the custom controls are not effective with anything coming in. So, flags come up if I don't disable it entirely. I will see if I can find a work-around ...
Thanks,

E
E
Jan 30 at 3:27 AM
Welcome! Login or Register