Your opinion on a new feature?

Someone did ask for that feature. No one objected. It sounded like a good idea to me. One of the rules of good user interface designs is that you should always know what you're getting before you click.

The gallery that changed the rules about gallery creation:

http://animejewell.rubberslug.com/gallery/home.asp

Linda
is a prolific collector and has over 1400 cels and other treasures on her site. I think that's pretty cool, but her gallery stresses the need for multiple nested catagories (like a folder system), better ways to customize each series page, better ways to field comments/suggestions/etc, and other improvements that are sorely needed.

In short, attaching a number to each of those series in that list is just one way to improve the experience for the end user. Instead of a jumble of 60+ anime titles, you can tell right off the bat that Lina likes Yu Yu Hakusho, Inuyasha, and Ayashi no Ceres. As a user, you'd be more inclined to click on those first if you're interested since there's more to see.

Should it be an option? Yes. But options take time to program. I've had code in place to autowatermark images for months now... but it was always on and I didn't want to code an option for it. (The site design forms are tedious to program... for the moment.)

Blast from the past:
http://www.rubberslug.com/v2test/img_bw.asp?ImageID=78

I
do want to point out -- you'll be able to turn cel numbers off. Just.. not... right... now.

It's not designed to intimidate. I'd love to be able to measure "quality" (via user favorites voting, soon to debut) but "quantity" is a good indicator to what you want to click on next.

It may not be a good time to bring this up, but the gallery search already displays quantity. The main gallery list will soon be able to list by gallery volume as well as alpha and updated and a number of other new catagories. This is all intended to help people get to what they want to see, not to intimidate.

It's not a contest. I take every feature image I get. Heck, I don't even like the top 5 collected series on this site! We're all collectors, so we're buddies though.

And come on. 1400+ cels is pretty darn cool. That kind of commitment has to deserve some sort of small recognition. (not to mention the 14 other galleries that have 200+ cels)

On the other hand, can I quantify collectors like Chris and Sherry? (http://meisworld.rubberslug.com) They don't have crates worth of cels, but they do have some pretty creepy "how-the-heck-did-you-get-that" items. Ask to see their cel book at a con.

What's more important for the moment is... Eric, did you just try to post a message from the test area? I forgot to mention that that is very broken still. If you managed to create a "file not found" error in a post *without* doing that then let me know.

That was too long. Back to work. Aww crap it's 1:30. I guess the site won't be out tonight. I really wanted it out this weekend. Pooter.

jn
noisywalrus
Plastic Future
Jan 20 at 12:52 AM
Just kicking around some more ideas...
Hmm coding can be a headache of course....so maybe there is another way ^-^

Let me say that I think Jason has some good points about those tremendous galleries and those huge sections. It is a great for those great sites to be advertised with huge numbers. So, why not set those numbers on to a come on only when someone has like over 50 cels or something--per category, and then it will mean something. Just having 1 as a number display could be taken to mean that that section is not even worth looking at.
And people put up sites, because they want people to look at their stuff! ^-^

Some site owners may even feel embarrassed by it. The mystery goes away because you already know what's in the package (quantiy-wise) before you open it...it becomes too obvious. Sometimes "not knowing" is a good thing ^-^. Especially for the collector with a few cels. Big time sites could inspire awe and excitement, but they could also inspire jealousy!!...we are talking about cel collectors here remember ? ^-^

It is good that it will be able to be turned off.
(whew!.. ;-))

I understand Spinzuey`s point too about the cel collectors with say like a few cels being noted as such does not exactly inspire confidence to those that stop by that page wanting to take a peek. Seeing, "oh, only 2 or 3 cels here", click gone to a more "worthy" site to take my online viewing time for type of deal.

So in the end, stats like these may or may not lead to become a contest of how many cels someone has and may doom the great small collections like "Chandra`s" that has only a few cels in comparison, but boy are they the most awesome around (I`m biased) to start to lose out because of the fact that she only has a few cels. In this argument, people with large collections will most likely be the ones most sought out and viewed due to their sheer volume. That of course is not a bad thing in and of itself, but that is just one speculative thing that may happen; the drowning out of the little guys before they get started.. (ahh so dramatic, eh? ^-^)

Personally, I really don`t care about that stuff myself. I just don`t like the numbers thing from a "design of my web page type of deal". I just don`t want to "see" them on my page.

Good luck Jason... I think that in the long run once things get going everything will be sorted out ^-^

Later,

E
E
Jan 20 at 2:44 AM
Hi Jason,

"What's more important for the moment is... Eric, did you just try to post a message from the test area? I forgot to mention that that is very broken still. If you managed to create a "file not found" error in a post *without* doing that then let me know".

Sorry, the answer is yes to all of the above :-)

e

(small "e" for little trouble maker)
E
Jan 20 at 6:27 PM
But I do agree it is messy as you have it now. If perhaps you could move it over by the date that would be groovy. Love the updates so far! I just now found the series updated in the last 24 trick, hehe thats nice.

Thanks for all the work
Foechadan
Nearachd Nathair Sgiathach
Jan 20 at 7:55 PM
Welcome! Login or Register