Your opinion on a new feature?

Hello rubbersluggers, I would just like to know what some of you think of a newly added feature to the site.

Recently Jason added a "cel count" to the sections, seen to the right of the series title. At first I was like "oh cool, now I know how many they have". But then realized that it isn't completely neccesary to the public gallery. That is of course, just my opinion.

I thought for a moment that it would be easier for owners to keep track of how many cels they have.. etc. But then, you can just see the numbers when you log in.... hmmm.

I can't help but be intimidated and distracted by these numbers. "Gee.. this person has more Sailor moon cels than I have cels total..." It kindof conveys to me that "volume" is what matters in this hobby, when it really isn't that way. At least, it shouldn't be...

So, I don't see the purpose in the cel counts. If I want to know how many someone has, I can ask, or just count myself. If they have 10 pages with 9 cels on each page... simple math.

Sorry to ramble. This isn't the biggest deal in the world to me. Just thought I would share my opinion. Also, if remains a feature, is it possible to move the number over to the right side of the "last updated" date? It would seem a little more orderly, i think.

How do you guys feel about this feature?
spinizuey
Golden Dawn
Jan 19 at 6:25 PM
I`d have to mostly agree with you. It looks unnecessary to me too, but I think that some will liked it to some degree, since it was asked for by a member here. I think that is why Jason included it (maybe ^-^).

I think that if should be made into an "optional component" with a "check (on/off) box" within the "manage cels> edit information-box", that appears when you want to edit your cel information for the section. Even better might be, if it were "globally enabled or disabled" at some other point, say for example at the "color and layout scheme " creation section. A check-box could possibly be created there so that upon gallery creation you could select such an option. I am not sure, but it would seem like one of those things that needs to me looked at again.

Another thing is, it should not be a mandantory display, because it makes all of the sites too "cookie-cutter looking". Anything that is so blantanly across the board on everyones site, makes everyones web page all that more the same, which equals to me, all the more boring and constraining: considering when you might want to be different in an already very "similar-to-your-neighbor-environment" work space.

(Jason are you reading this stuff? ^-^)

E
E
Jan 19 at 9:10 PM
I really didnt pay attention to that little counter, I kinda thought it had always been there myself. When was this feature added?

I also noticed something the other day as well. I was at my friends house and went to this site. While moving the pointer over gallery pics, I noticed it would list what series are in that gallery. When did this happen!? And why on earth dosnt that work when I am on my own comp? Does it depend on the browser and or version?
Thrance
Thrance's Cels
Jan 19 at 10:53 PM

Sorry for all of the above typing errors!!
I am not as dumb and numb as I sound ^-^, but eating hamburgers and typing is not one of my strong points! Maybe I should just use MS Word and do a spell check before I upload any text..eh?
E
Jan 19 at 11:45 PM
Are we talking about the same thing? , Because those counters are very obviously "new" and apparent ^-^...Look closer they are the cels being counted in your gallery on your front page..section by section... check it out again ^-^!

They have only been in a few days (I just noticed yesterday) as I glanced at my gallery and saw all of those numbers... ;-(

>"While moving the pointer over gallery pics, I noticed it would list what series are in that gallery. When did this happen!?"

Do you mean out front on RS`s main page? : The "recent gallery update" section for galleries. If that is what you mean, that feature has been out since last year, showing the recent cel titles that have been added as new cels ^-^.

In any case this place is getting cooler and cooler by my estimate of the things that I have seen behind the OZ curtain. Jason has some very cool ideas in store,,just wait a bit longer!

Like any change, it will take some tweaking (and squeaking) to get it "right".

E
E
Jan 20 at 12:01 AM
Welcome! Login or Register