About Opening A Gallery...

Roy- I really appreciate the offer, but I've figured out a better way, I think.

I didn't put a RS gallery up originally when it opened because of the no all fancels rule, but I was considering it as Ms. Poe suggested that it would be a good place for people to find my cels. I've sort of fixed this by putting up a website. It's not done yet though. (It will be at RequiemArt.com once I configure the gallery scripts) Right now I'd consider putting up a RS gallery with one or two of my favorite cels from each of my 4 categories of cel types(that I personally own, since I still own quite a few) as a gateway to the website so that cel people can find it without eating any bandwidth. Because, for example, I have a cel gallery up somewhere else right now but almost no one knows about it. Heh.

E- Speaking of drawing lines... I have gotten emails regarding your 'commissioned hanken mono' being misleadingly labeled in the past. If you want to go by the rules, you should probably mark it more clearly as a fancel. I told those people that I didn't care what you marked it as because I know you would never sell anything I painted as real because of how you ended up with that first cel of mine that dealer sold to you with my sig cut off the scan. I still don't care, but seeing as how you're a mod here now, it might be good to keep in mind.
DGRequiem
Feb 05 at 4:54 PM
[quote]E- Speaking of drawing lines... I have gotten emails regarding your 'commissioned hanken mono' being misleadingly labeled in the past. [/quote]

Interesting, I've yet to have one of those type of emails in the years that I have had it listed.
Why anyone would contact you to complain stikes me as odd 0_0 and not to me.

Yann Stettler and I had a conversation about this a long time ago, in fact, he suggested that I call it a "boot-leg" copy, since "fancel" it did not fit.

Although, I admit "commissioned" may fly over the head of someone not understanding that it means "I paid money for it to be made". I have had tremendous offers for it, even after having "double-checked" , and yet and still thousands of dollars have been mentioned. I've laughed it off on several occasions, and this is to even some "big-time" dealers.

How my personal fan cel collection should become a part of this thread is kinda funny. But, I do love your work and welcome you back with open arms. Honestly, where have you been? I just realized it was you (duh..)

Hell, Roy give her a cel!!
This IS an exceptional case. I wouldn't bend the rules for anyone, but you. Rhey, jn, you'd have to object but I didn't know it was Requiem (until I finally opened my eyes)

=)
Edited Feb 05 at 8:47 PM
E
Feb 05 at 7:54 PM
[quote]I have had tremendous offers for it, even after having "double-checked" , and yet and still thousands of dollars have been mentioned.[/quote]

hehe...yeah, I'd be one of those chumps...er...I mean prospective buyers. *rolls eyes/slight blush*

(pause)

Seriously E, if you ever need to....
aww never mind. :)

Back on topic, from what I've seen of DGRequiem's work it's, well, just about as good as the real thing. But, while you would definitely be the exception, I agree that the better part of discretion would be to go ahead and start up an RS gallery without overtly drawing too much attention to it and then to tactfully label the artwork as fancels accordingly, just as Jason suggested. It's all about a little obfuscation when committing skulduggery. (j/k =P)
Edited Feb 07 at 4:56 AM
huckapucka
Homage
Feb 07 at 4:47 AM
(*winks* to transmet)

The funny thing is it has always been my best piece of Gunnm/ Battle Angel work!!, regardless of the studio location or hired hand. So Transmet, don't worry..you're right-- It "IS" my best piece-- even if it was done by another fabulous artist that is not named Yuki

And that's why I still own it! For any price.

Hankens are done often by "sanctioned" artists
anyway.. so don't get caught up in semantics. Many hankens done for magazines or shows were done by hired and third party hands that have contracts and sometimes not. I clearly did not, and I even wrote Yukito Kishiro (creator of Battle Angel) to ask him if it was okay. His brother (webmaster) said he didn't mind since, he had no claims over the anime works anyway, but Mad House did. I contacted Mad House, but never got any reply. So, there goes the history of it-- I went that far. I didn't want any strange phonecalls at night (I lived in Japan at the time) just for the record.

If Gwen had a contract today with Mad House, suddenly all of her art becomes seen with a different "gleam" in purist minds.

I'll take mine now, thank you. She did a breath-taking job and used some of the best materials.. I have no shame or regrets, except perhaps posting it if indeed it has mislead you or anyone else, and now feel "tricked or deceived"--not my intention if that is truly the case (I'll take it down: Edited,, and now have).

And I've had some of the best Battle Angel art ever made by Mad House and by Nobuteru Yuki, but the next BA piece (secret) will be purchased by another artist.. that is just a great (later =)
And well known as a comic and anime artist here in America, but not Japan. Oh well, I guess I'll be opening myself up again to ridicule, but I went through that when I bought my first reproduction from Ghibli studios, that later many wanted, or when I bought settei, when every said, "Hey, those are copies!" (most are), or when I bought my first "post-production" art, called "Rilezu" and everyone snarled, but I tell ya' what I'm happy and like all kinds of anime art anyway. I was never stuck on soley "production art" coming out of the slave mills of anime production houses. I might stop at Litho's or Glicee's (spelling??) but that is just me.. just call me a fake collector =)

But, I've never tried to "pawn off" anything as "real studio" work if it isn't.

Like I said, this thread is not about me, but what the heck.. I love to talk about anything Battle Angel related =)
Edited Feb 07 at 1:28 PM
E
Feb 07 at 12:19 PM
Welcome! Login or Register