About Opening A Gallery...

H uys!

Thought I'd ask the general concensus on this one!

Well, Gwen would love to open a gallery here at RS, and display her fan cels. She still makes some for herself, and has plenty not on display on her other site. But, would love to share them here with us all.

She's just worried about a couple things, and I was sent to see what you all think about the following:

1. She knows where some of her fan cels are but not all of them. Would it be a problem to post the ones she no longer knows where they are?

Getting permission on this one is key, and she can't locate many of the people who originally commissioned her, or they might not have them in her possession. I figured as long as she doesn't receive a complaint it fine, and mark that is was a commission done on so and so a date and is now sold. What do you think about this?

2. They're all fan cels. I know there's sites on her with nothing but fan work, and maybe a few with one cel. But, what do you think about a site of just fan work?

I know a lot of people would like to weigh in on this issue. Like, if we allow it, we open up RS to be a place for people to post that and only that, like an advetisement space for their crappy E-bay auctions. Or, it's not allowed in the rules, so no. This is a cels site, etc.

Well, Gwen has a always done professional work with cels, and I think it would be important for people new to the hobby, or ones that might not of ever seen her work, to see her work. Just because it's art.

Well, thanks for your opinions all! Hopefully Gwen will be welcomed here and she'll have a gallery up soon!
Ms. Poe
Ms. Poe
Feb 03 at 9:22 AM
i think it's pretty much againest the rule if the gallery is solely of fan cels or art or is a place for e-bay advertisment. the mods can probably elaborate more fully than i can on galleries that have no production cels whatsoever. but why don't you have gwen post her art in your gallery? that would get around the problem or link her site in your gallery. i myself love to see fan cels and art as much as production cels and such. as for posting cels or art that's not in gwen posession, i believe that is againest the rule unless it's a cel you bought or won in a coming soon section.
genechin
S.H.O.M.A. w/glasses anime cel gallery
Feb 03 at 11:37 AM
Hiya Poe,

I have a idea for you to help Gwen open a gallery.
If she has any real production cels use them to open the gallery with and she can put her best fan cels in her main gallery and put the rest of the bulk in the photo album part of her gallery,I think this would work out and not break any rules.
If she marks the fan cels she made as sold but she does not have any more and that someone else owns them this should cover any problems with them,After all it was her work and if any of the owners do not like them to be there on display and asks for them to be removed she can always take them down on request.

Mod's let us know if this would be ok to do?

If she does not have any real production cels I will give her some to open her gallery with.
I love to see eveyones art and from what I have heard her fan cels are some of the best out there.
let me know if I can help, I would be glad to give her some cel art to open her gallery with.

I hope this helps out some.
Roy
backlotanimation
Backlotanimation
Feb 03 at 12:56 PM
We would prefer that galleries have studio produced art, but fancels are okay. Just be sure that the fancels are labelled as such to avoid confusion.

Also, work that's no longer in her posession should be labelled as such, and if the new owner requests that their fancel not be displayed, then their request should be respected.
Rheytarian
Rheytarian's Anime Alcove
Feb 03 at 7:04 PM
Lately, fancels have become more acceptable, given the state of cel collecting these days, that is a natural consequence of desire-- or "when all else fails". Just being a little factitious (pun).. sorry. In no way meant to discredit anyone.

However, call me "old fashioned", but---

Having just a fancel gallery "only" kind of goes against the grain of the RS credo.

Roy giving her cels is okay. But just to give her some production cels to create a loophole so that you can see her artwork here is not really a practice I'd recommend either, unless she sees something from your tremendous selection that she really like to have and display.
(Other fancel only artists, would be licking their collective lips over you.. =)

Of course, that can be discussed between the two of you.

The real answer is that-- NO -- there are no fancel galleries "only" allowed. If there are ways around it, I am sure that you highly intelligent patrons can figure these things out privately for yourselves, need not make it a public proclamation.

The FAQ located here also gives a general explanation of this.

We love all kinds of anime artwork, and really never call people out on the mat for it, but a line has to be drawn somewhere.
Edited Feb 05 at 1:13 PM
E
Feb 05 at 1:07 PM
Welcome! Login or Register