hats available now

[quote]The *only* shirt I'd ever wear with something in Japanese is basically one that said, "I have no idea what this shirt says, I just thought your weird stick language looked cool." or maybe simplified to "I can't read my own shirt." [/quote]

Let's see if I can get Japanese characters to appear on the RS forum . . .

Polite form:
私は自分のシャツを読めません。

Plain form:
私は自分のシャツを読めない。

EDIT: It worked! ^_^ That's "I can't read my own shirt," btw. The first one is a little too complicated for my Japanese skills, and I think it might offend any native speaker I ask, so I'm not touching it.
Edited Feb 02 at 7:21 PM
klet
klet's Island of Misfit Cels
Feb 02 at 7:20 PM
See? *points to hiragana character and says 'NO'*
Leah
Aernath's Heartthrobs
Feb 02 at 8:18 PM
Sounds good. I'll verify the type and run a batch of these, probably in angst-friendly black again. Won't have time to do it until I get back from trip though. I'll be back on the 19th but I'll have internet access most of the time. Was actually thinking of running shirts like that for a while, because quite frankly, shirts that say things in foreign languages always reek of poser. When the language is Japanese, it reeks of dorky poser. Your milage may vary.

The only time a shirt with something in a foreign language is cool is when it's a shirt for people who live there. Bonus points for originating from an eastern European country.

They're not even as funny as the Japanese shirts that have things in English.... because those don't make any sense to anyone.

Hats are shipping tomorrow. Another batch will go out Saturday for any Friday orders. Now might be a good time to mention that all orders after Friday will be shipped in two weeks.
noisywalrus
Plastic Future
Feb 02 at 9:00 PM
On a side note, if you were to sell shirts in Japanese that said things like:

"I eat people. But not you, you're cool."
"Your mother is a Dachshund."
"I'm normally more contagious."

...and tell people it's instead a line from a famous poem in Japanese, that would be funny.... until all the possibly angry phone calls start coming in.
noisywalrus
Plastic Future
Feb 02 at 9:07 PM
[quote]"I eat people. But not you, you're cool."
"Your mother is a Dachshund."
"I'm normally more contagious."[/quote]

1)
私は人を食べます。でも、あなたがカッコいいので、あなたを食べません。

It's not exactly the same thing, but it's close.

2)
お母さんはダックスフントですよ。

If you want to make it perfectly clear that it's the mother of the person reading the shirt rather than the mother of the person wearing it, you would put あなたの in front of that sentence--using the honorific form already implies that, though.

3)
I have no clue. >_< ^_^
Edited Feb 02 at 10:53 PM
klet
klet's Island of Misfit Cels
Feb 02 at 10:50 PM
Welcome! Login or Register