copy backgrounds.... for sale?

I dig the background downloads, especially when I add them to cels that I cannot afford or get matching backgrounds for them. I would hope that it's not taken down since it's a helpful extra tool for Rubberslug that no other sites offer. To curb the stealing, go ahead and add a watermark on a corner of the piece, add in a disclaimer that the images are not for resale?
baronv
Baron V's Animation Cel Gallery
Apr 25 at 7:33 PM
I think the background gallery is a wonderful community tool.
I've posted backgrounds and down loaded some for use with my cels too. [i]Thank you fellow Bg posters![/i] As for me, I would hate to see the background gallery removed due to someone who is not a true collector, but in it only for the money.

Since I didn't foresee someone taking the images and trying to profit from them, I think it's a little late to fix that problem. "The cat is out of the bag" so to speak. I notice three of the BG I've posted are used in their auctions. What I may post on my gallery is a buyer be aware or post on Beta's blacklist. Or just let the individual suffer the inevitable Karmic retribution.

Understandably, watermarking may have to be the solution going forward.
Edited Apr 25 at 9:40 PM
monkeyboy
Apr 25 at 9:37 PM
A couple of the backgrounds I uploaded to the RS shared gallery were used in those auctions discussed on Beta, too.

For my part, it doesn't really bother me that the seller downloaded/printed the backgrounds and put them with cels to sell. I don't know ... maybe it should bug me ... but it doesn't. I added my backgrounds to the shared gallery for others to use, and didn't ever much care or give much thought to where they might end up.

I've downloaded several backgrounds from the shared gallery. It's been a wonderful resource for me. I don't often sell cels out of my collection, but, when I do, I normally sell them with the backgrounds I use for displaying them in my gallery. So far, I believe I have only sold cels with copies of original backgrounds I own. But, it never occurred to me that this could be an issue with regard to the backgrounds in the RS gallery. I guess I was just being a bit naive or something.

Anyhow, I'm glad it was brought up, so that I can be sure not to accidentally offend anyone by committing the same faux pas! I'm in the process of going through all the copy backgrounds I have and making notations on them if they came from the RS gallery. In the event that I have to sell a cel I have paired with one of these backgrounds, I'll know to find a different bg to go with it. ^_^
tex-chan
Gecko Blue Cels
May 02 at 11:43 PM
Watermarking wouldn't do a whole lot of good. Anyone who can figure out how to print these with minimal instruction on our part can probably crop and resize them as well. I really like the background gallery, personally.

Voluntarily, adding something like a "Background from Rubberslug.com" warning on the backside of anything that is printed out would be nice.
noisywalrus
Plastic Future
May 03 at 1:55 AM
Welcome! Login or Register