unfair proposal, part 2

Okay, in part one, I droned about other galleries. Here's what the other galleries do:

1. Require applications for review, sort of like an entrance exam.

2. Require applicants to submit three (3) pieces of their artwork for approval. [In RS's case, these would be three favorite cels in one's ownership.]

3. Plagiarized work = immediate disqualification. Borderline work, for galleries concerned about quality, would be "graded," and the applicant would have to either re-submit pieces or wait 30 days to apply again.

4. Alternately, or in addition, a test covering the rules of the site must be passed in order to do any maintenance. I think only Side7 does this, with as many problems as they've had with rule-breakers. (They also have a "Secret Police" that report any delinquents.)

Maybe it's copycatism for RS to do the same... but what works works, I guess. This way, volunteer admins/moderators could work account approvals, rather than specifically removing accounts, which would be less of a security issue (I think).
jen_aside
SGP's cel gallery, by Jen
Nov 07 at 7:14 AM
Some sort of qualification system is too hard to administer. That would be more work than just banning people that participate in funny business. The idea is to reduce the workload. To do that, you have to optimize the common case -- which is, in this case, that most people are honest cel collectors.

What about people who don't have 3 cels? At $30-$100 a pop it's like collecting Playstations. Not games.... systems. (A new PS1 is about 80 bucks now.) I certainly didn't have 3 cels until I collected for at least 4 or 5 months.

Also, if I wanted to make a new gallery... if admins (sorry... moderators) didn't get to me for 2 or 3 days, I'd just cart by business over to Geocities. I'm all about immediate gratification.

Finally, the stigma of cel collecting being a closed society is something I don't personally believe is healthy for the hobby. Qualifications and gradings just to open a cel gallery deter new collectors from being rated in a "competition". Gradings *always* pit a ruling grading class against the masses -- in everything from comic books to diamonds. It's the reason why any new collector can submit any image they want for a feature gallery here and have an equal shot at show-and-tell as a longtime collector.

Good idea for something smaller scale (and where each piece is worth $10k+, like for a physical museum/gallery), but in practice it's way too complicated. Thanks for the suggestion though.

jn
noisywalrus
Plastic Future
Nov 07 at 9:37 AM
Comes from having the "gallery" experience I've had. And staying away from GeoCities.

The "3 pieces" was an example, since artwork is more easily created than cels are bought, and the "grading" similarly has to do with those galleries' specifics. If I wanted to open "One Cel Gallery" (I'd like to see that one!), then I would say so and give the proper evidence of my cel ownership, and if I wanted to post a cel of basically just a mouth, then I would still have to submit proof of my ownership of it. (I actually do have a mismatched sketch of just a couple of hands, but it came with the cel.)

It is your decision, then, to implement a ban. However, I recommend you at least specify in the rules WHY such a ban would be enacted and place a notice of it in the gallery application so that honest, but DBZ-specific, collectors can be forewarned. Or, you can specify, "Hey, do this and get removed!" and not have to single out a series, regardless of whether its accompanying crowd is the source of the problem.

But then, I suppose it's like avoiding eating at Denny's purely because its clientele is a bunch of scary freaks.

I do admit I wouldn't mind having one or two DBZ cels, but I suppose I'm not going to afford them any time soon anyway, so I'm not too concerned about a ban. But I'm posting my legitimately-owned cels anyway, even if most of them are still at my parents' house :/ (oops) and it's good to at least know why my suggestions get shot down, rather than just being ignored :)
jen_aside
SGP's cel gallery, by Jen
Nov 07 at 2:54 PM
Hi everyone, I usually don't post on this board but I do have a Dragonball cel gallery on RS. At this time I would like to Thank Jason for a wonderfully easy to navigate site. I love this site!!!

As far as DB/DBZ/GT being an anime watched by boy from 10 year to 20 year olds. Well that is not true, there are many females that watch the show. I am one of them. I also like FY, Trigun, Ruin Explorers, Kenshin, Escaflowne, and Outlaw Star. My collection is mainly Dragonball, but I do have other anime shows in my gallery that I collect from and I intend to collect from other series as well.(when I have the money of course ^_*) I belong to a few anime boards even though I post only on one so I am aware of the troubles regarding collecting DB cels.

Why is DB having this trouble?
Exposure, Exposure, Exposure...
60 millions fans can't be wrong.
At least according to Cartoon Network. ^_*
Anyway if DB didn't have this problem another show would like Gundam or maybe even Kenshin. The problem is not the show, the problem is people.

Jason I wouldn't blaim you if you don't want anymore DB gallerys. But what I suggest is this:
There are individuals out there that don't understand what a cel is. Maybe a small description of this should be included on the page when someone comes to the site to create a gallery. Along with the info that they must own the cels that they are posting in the gallery. Just something to remind them that this is a cel gallery is not a pics gallery.

Or if it comes down to you not excepting any more DBZ cel gallerys, maybe a potential DB collector can get a recommendation from another cel collector that has a site here, or who is known in the cel community. Then the new DB Cel Collector would then be allowed to create a DB gallery. That way DBZ collectors won't feel too bad about not being able to create a site here, and the trouble makers will be weeded out.

Jason I hope this is helpful, and I want you express my gratude. I think that RS is a wonderful site, and I enjoy how easy it is for me to update my gallery.

(Also, just a quick note if I update my gallery with new cels I also create a notation in the news section to let everyone know what I have updated. Unless, I do some maintanence on the gallery, like adding to descriptions, images (smaller files) to help save on band width. etc.)

Kat (Golden Dragon's Lair)

PS Sorry if I posted this somewhere else, this is my first time posting here please bare with me.
Golden Dragon
Golden Dragon's Lair
Nov 08 at 3:49 AM
Welcome! Login or Register