Sketch scans (the unseen)

I've tried to figure out how to make a sketch appear clear "universally" no matter which computer that I am on, but I swear that I cannot figure it out. I am only guessing and I'm using Photoshop as well.

The scans on my computer when uploaded look fine, but when I load them to RS they barely show sometimes. And if I go to a new or high resolution computer (with TFT active matrix or whatever), I can barely see them at all.

Does anyone have a remedy for this? I look around on other sites and I see the same problem.If I load the sketch to an auction site, I can see it relatively the same wherever I go. Is there some standard resolution or something?

Can anyone help?
E
Jan 17 at 10:38 PM
E,
The problem is most likely a result of monitor calibration (or, more precisely, a lack thereof). There is no secret way to scan a sketch (Photoshop or not) so that it appears perfect on every computer. What's likely happening with the auction site is it has a "robot" that puts the image through some automated contrast/color adjustments.
The best thing you can do is calibrate your monitor so that the image going out into the world is close to correct.
With Photoshop you can calibrate your monitor by making a gamma adjustment (but only if you have the full version of Photoshop, no LE or Elements versions as they don't have the gamma adjustment tool).
Tune in next week...
Seriously, E, let me know if this helps or if you need any further information on making a gamma adjustment. I gotta go get ready for work right now :P
4_degree
Jan 18 at 5:07 AM
OK. Here's a nice little tutorial on gamma and how it can screw up our world: http://www.photoscientia.co.uk/Gamma.htm

As
for setting up your own monitor, I've had good results with a two-step process. (Here's where it gets fun.) Go here: http://www.maximumpc.com/how_to/reprint_2003-05-21.html and download the DisplayMate demo. This will help you set your black-point (the first step in this little dance) and, as a bonus, help you set the geometry of your screen (assuming we're still using a CRT monitor). After you've set the black-point, you can begin gamma correction through Photoshop.
It should be noted that if one does not have a gamma correction tool at their disposal, such as the one incorporated in the full versions of photoshop, setting the black-point through DisplayMate is much, much better than nothing.
4_degree
Jan 18 at 6:45 AM
Thanks I'll try that!
Those are cool links, btw.

My monitor is dying, and I try to bring it back to life before I cash in on a TFT screen.
Edited Jan 18 at 10:28 PM
E
Jan 18 at 10:17 PM
Hey E
Set your gamma to 1.8 and reset your scanner to defalt settings.
To change gamma go to your (control panel)on your computer and click on your (abobe gamma icon) to set your gamma, It's easy it has a wizard. Use 1.8

Bring up photo shop click (file)then (import) from scanners quick scan not full scan.If you have both?
when the pic comes up in photo shop then click (enhance) then click (auto color correction).

If still a little off go to (enhance) then(adjust brightness/contrast) then click(levels)and move the pointer back and forth to clean up pics(note:let your finger off the mouse button every little move of the pointer or it will not set the place your pointing to.don't set to dark.
Then click ok when the pic looks the way you want.
Your done.
And you have one clean pic.
Edited Jan 19 at 3:07 AM
backlotanimation
Backlotanimation
Jan 19 at 2:59 AM
Welcome! Login or Register