Ghibli --"Howl's Moving Castle"

Well, I won't say too much, but those of you that liked "Sen to Chihiro", will probably like this one better, "Howls Moving Castle". I just came back from viewing it.

It was almost a yawner for me, since I had higher expectations, since the publicity here was and still is everywhere.. Shows have been sold out all week long, and we are talking even matinees on Mondays. They had theaters packed from 9AM to 3AM at night-- All sold out in advance! This is an animation people. I went with my wife and daughter, in the afternoon, and my daughter was the only child in the place-- these were all grown people standing in line!!

I admit that is a bit more mature than Sen to Chihiro, but I think that you will find a lot of the same Ghibli child-like "magic" that has been a recurring theme of late in Miyazaki films.

It is very detailed as well, extremely so. The backgrounds, buildings, landscapes, machines, almost outshine the characters.

I generally found while viewing it a lot of elements that I have seen from Laputa, Castle in the Sky, Sen to Chihiro, and a few new ideas mixed into one set piece. It is set in a backdrop that is a clearly turn of the century European in origin.

I won't say more... as to not be a spoiler.

It will probably get stellar reviews on the GP level, since the music is great as usual, as well as, the moral story telling.
Edited Nov 23 at 1:04 AM
E
Nov 23 at 12:52 AM
Welcome! Login or Register