Cels with Extra Layers

Has anyone encountered a cel that had extra layers that weren't supposed to be there? So far, I have noticed 2 of my Blue Gender cels that had this problem. Both cels didn't look right when was scanning them in. I watched the episodes they were from, and verified that one of the cels had two layers of a character walking up. The other cel had a layer obstructing the two characters in the cel that wasn't in the shot. I removed all of the offending layers and have them set aside. I'm just wondering if this is a two-time fluke, or something that anyone else has noticed...
cyphr99
Cyphr's Cels
Oct 09 at 2:45 AM
Do those "extra layers" belong in the cut the cel came from, or are they from a different cut? I have noticed a few times with my own cels that multilayer cels have been assembled with different layers that are all from the same cut...but don't go together by time. Like one layer is from 15m15s in, another from 15m17s, and another from 15m10s. Maybe occasionally whomever assembled the cels together for sale just grabbed cels out of the cut bag and put them together without looking at the timing sheet. Or just stuck in an extra layer as a bonus or something. Its not uncommon, I don't think.
Edited Oct 09 at 7:17 PM
Gabriel
Gabriel's cels
Oct 09 at 7:17 PM
For one of my cels, they two extra layers belong to that cut and are used to animate a character in the background walk up to Marlene. It would seem that they just collected most of the layers used to animate that cut.

For the other, it doesn't belong to that scene at all. In fact, I have no idea where it belongs. I guess this is just a "throw in" from some random cut...

These two cels seemed kind of odd because I have never seen any additional layers with any of the other series I collect. I have several cels where I was given extra douga from the scene the cel came from...
cyphr99
Cyphr's Cels
Oct 10 at 2:36 PM
Welcome! Login or Register