A poll for those who have VHS fansubs

So I'm sitting here avoiding laundry by watching my old fan subs of Sailor Stars (I just love the mini-arc at the beginning of Stars). At the same time I'm downloading MoO 14. I was sooooo excited when I saw it was available. My question is, do you think it was more exciting when you had to send $5 a tape to Canada for VHS and wait to get the whole series at once or do you prefer the "instant" access?
While I LOVE seeing the new anime ep by ep I kind of miss the days of having to collect the tapes. Anyone else understand my nostalgia?
Foechadan
Nearachd Nathair Sgiathach
Sep 12 at 9:05 PM
Funny, I strangely recall it always being Canada for some reason as well. An awful lot of Japanese translators in that country or something.

I've got two seasons of Slayers, a couple of the Slayers movies, Lost Universe, Karekano, and Escaflowne on fansub. One of those tapes has Five Star Stories on it, which I always meant to watch, but it's not specifically labelled. Someday I'll find out which one it's on.

I think I had 3x3 Eyes, Fushigi Yuugi, and Devil Hunter Yoko (?) on fansub as well at some point, but I have no idea where those went.

Prior to about 2000, anything that was fansubbed was mostly finished with it's TV run before I knew about it. I do prefer to watch 26 episode series in a single weekend, though. I can't imagine how incredibly boring some shows must have been when you had to sit through crappy side story arcs for 2+ months instead of just 3 hours.
Edited Sep 13 at 12:33 AM
noisywalrus
Plastic Future
Sep 13 at 12:30 AM
heh. I bet your Sailormoon fansubs are VKLL. Those guys rocked - I bought all 200 episodes from them at $8 a tape (for the fancy boxes). Of course, I now have a helluva lot of tapes...so DVDs and downloads are great space savers. But yeah, I do kind of miss having to wait for a series. Made it more suspenseful. Now I can download an entire series in a day or two.
reithejelly
Stem Cels
Sep 16 at 3:32 PM
Completely miss the SASE times and Central Anime too. Sigh, those days are gone and so is the tighter knit anime community.
momo
M O M O's cels
Nov 01 at 11:46 PM
You all dont watch VHS fansub anymore? I have 5 eps of Gundam seed in VHS because i couldnt find it in DVD subs. I would much rather have the whole series mostly because I have no patience, darn Naruto is killing me ><.
Char
Nov 03 at 8:31 AM
Welcome! Login or Register