editorials: traffic boost or time sink?

[adminpoll]48[/adminpoll]

Howdy gang.

There was a thread going on a few days ago about how we can boost traffic to the forums. An idea I had a while ago that just struck me as a good idea again was to give people things to actually talk about. And better yet, solicit you nice folks for things to talk about.

I'm making a few assumptions about the audience of this site, but some of those assumptions include that you have a wide variety of tastes and are generally exposed to more things (art, pop culture, music, literature, foreign languages, weird movies, etc.) than the average human who lounges around watching yet another season of reality television garbage.

The idea would be a general, running call for submissions of a few hundred words. The moderators and I would post a few of the good ones and we'd open mini-discussions.

Ideally we'd steer away from topics (aside from occasionally silly ones) that involve picking your favorite Love Hina girl or determining if Shinji's Unit 1 can take an RX-78 in hand-to-hand combat. Personally, I'd be more interested in topics that explore attitudes towards anime, the economics of mass-produced animation, the evolution of certain styles, etc. Do male-centric romantic comedies (Tenchi, etc.) reinforce negative attitudes toward women? What can be done to legitimize (save?) 2D animation from the demand for 3D? How well does anime from the 1980s hold up to a generally increasing demand for more risque romance and more graphic violence?

The choice will be left up to you. You, as a cel collector, are a gold mine of experiences and encounters with this unique blend of art, pop culture, and capitalism.

Does this sound interesting or possibly boring and stuffy?

(ps - a) motoko and b) the rx-78. of course, i'm kinda partial to voltron myself.)
Edited Jun 12 at 3:38 AM
noisywalrus
Plastic Future
Jun 12 at 3:31 AM
Welcome! Login or Register