Scanning pink

When I scan cels with my Brother copier/printer/scanner, sometimes colors that are bright pink turn brown. Light pink turns a salmon color. Yellow sometimes turns a reddish brown.

Magenta and reddish pink seem unaffected. They just get lighter.

Does this happen on all modern scanners or is there a certain brand that doesn't do it? It would be nice to show others how they actually look. I used to have an old HP scanner before it died. It was low resolution but the colors were pretty much the same as the cel.
ginta
marmalade
Oct 16 at 4:15 AM
It's not every scanner, I when buying my last scanner specifically looked for a scanner that in the reviews could scan pink and red this is an absolute must if you collect sailor moon and even more important if you collect Chibi-usa.

May scanner is probably at least 8 years old right now so I don't know if you could even find it. I recommend those review sites where people who have bought it can tell you if pink is a no go! Good luck!
Edited Oct 16 at 5:36 AM
Jadeduo
In My Dreams
Oct 16 at 5:35 AM
I have also have a Brother printer/scanner and it definitely has issues with light pink and pale yellow. Maybe it is a brand related issue
popzap
Paint on Plastic
Oct 16 at 8:45 AM
I think I found out the answer. I have to buy a scanner with a CCD sensor. The one in my Brother MFC probably has a CIS sensor. They're two different sensor technologies. CCD supposedly includes the "neon" colors in its color gamut.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=350585
http://www.imageaccess.de/?page=WhitePapersCCDOrCIS#&ui-state=dialog&ui-state=dialog

I'm going to pick one up eventually and see if it will allow me to rescan some of my cels with more accurate colors.
ginta
marmalade
Nov 19 at 10:15 PM
You might be onto something...
Our current scanner uses a CCD imager and it has no problems whatsoever with pink. I always thought it was the light source (cold cathode vs. LED) that made the difference, but the imager very well could be the key.
Interesting...
Angelic-Lair
Nov 20 at 9:48 AM
Welcome! Login or Register