vampires

[adminpoll]25[/adminpoll]

Does anyone know why this is such a popular genre with anime? Why not werewolves or something?

If I forgot your favorite show, tell us about it.
noisywalrus
Plastic Future
Dec 09 at 12:59 PM
hehehehe look at my gallery to see how I voted
Foechadan
Nearachd Nathair Sgiathach
Dec 10 at 10:36 AM
I was really torn between NightWalker/VHD/Hellsing. I chose VHD, but I really love the other two just as much o_O;
nesuferit
Nesuferit's Cel Gallery
Dec 10 at 11:04 PM
Ah, even all of those series/movies are vampire related they are different style of series.

The ones done in a more "vampire line" style are of course VHD and Miyu.

Others like master of mosquiton have a more "comedy" style, even though i'm not sure if this is the correct word to describe them.

As for my taste, i prefer those that while not being comedy, they have the "vampire" thing as a secondary matter of the whole story, so my vote goes for tsukihime, being hellsing on the second place. I have not watched very much of Hitsuji no Uta but the plot seems a little obscure.
cyclinganime
Cycling Anime's Cel Gallery
Dec 13 at 4:27 AM
I'm starting to gravitate more towards concepts that put a new spin on overused anime setups. Voice of a Distant Star is a good example of this. Either by genius editing or by pure accident, all the details about the war between aliens and giant robots are left out. The creator seems to assume that you've already seen enough of the genre that all the war scenes are visual shorthand for the actual events.

Gunparade March starts gritty and dark and even tries to explain why children are piloting war machines. However, it seems either the higher-ups or the audience didn't appreciate the direction. Halfway through it turns into a ditzy dating game. Never played the game so I have no idea if they're just following the game.

Tsukihime, so far, has done a pretty good job of having a sense of awareness of everything that came before it. In contrast, there's a of really generic shows each season that try really hard to make you forget about shows with the exact same story just a few months ago.

I've only seen parts of Miyu and none of Mosquiton (only remembered a plot synopsis involving vampires). Everything else I've caught at some point. I actually don't like the genre very much, but I have no idea why the Japanese seem so fascinated with this particular boogeyman. "Ghostbuster/ghost story" type shows never stick either, but those (I assume) are inspired by Japanese folklore so the interest makes more sense.
noisywalrus
Plastic Future
Dec 14 at 3:16 AM
Welcome! Login or Register