Why are cels cut

I mostly see this out of auctions from Mandarake.. they don't know the production number because the cel has been cut! Once or twice makes sense as a collector might've framed it and cut it to fit more centered, but it seems like a LOT of Mandarake cels are cut. Any idea why? it makes me sad as a collector to get an excessively damaged cel and it also makes me wary about the authenticity of the cel...
justvan
Van's Cels
Jul 08 at 1:18 AM
Many of these originate with Toei Animation, which has had for many years a popular studio tour for fans of their productions (DBZ, Sailor Moon, Gegege no Kitaro, etc. etc.). At the end of the tour, visitors were led to a gift shop with lots of anime-related souvenirs. I understand this included a bin where Toei would place cels from their productions. These were typically cut to a standard size and bagged with a non-matching background (usually from the same series) and, sometimes, a (non-matching) timing sheet or (non-matching) douga.

I've seen these come up fairly often on YHJ or Mandarake, and I'd guess these are now being resold by the fans who bought them at the tour and now are seeing that their values have significantly increased.
60something-sensei
Sensei's Anime Gallery
Jul 08 at 9:08 AM
Thanks that makes some sense. It seemed frequent enough that that thought perhaps it was something the studio was doing. What a shame they cut them, but the cels are Toei and that seems consistent with your story. Just makes me sad.
justvan
Van's Cels
Jul 08 at 9:18 AM
There's also a particular size of frame that's popular in Japan that can't accommodate a standard size cel. It's popular as its a hinged frame that allows you to display two items at once, or you can stack the frames together and it takes up little space. I have received trimmed Toei cels that fit into these frames (I own one of these storage frames) which makes me wonder if many of the items that have been resold to Mandarake weren't at one time stored in these frames.
Cutiebunny
Cutiebunny's Coven
Jul 09 at 9:19 AM
Relating to the cels condition, what does it mean when cels say they 'with corrections' ? Ive seen this on a number of cel descriptions and im not sure what it means?

Does it mean someone has actually tried to repair it? If so how is that possible? Or am i misunderstanding it completely
under9000
HyperbolicCels
Aug 12 at 2:04 PM
Welcome! Login or Register